Anybody having problems with the spell checker?

• Members

I use Firefox browser and it's spell checker seems to work almost everywhere. At work we use Chrome and I'd say the same for it. Both seem to fail on this forum. When I misspell a word, it underlines it but right clicking only gets me a paste option (word NOT highlited). This seems to be the same on both browsers. They both USED to work here just fine. Did something change in the forum's html code? There has always been a few hinks in the system (I'd sometimes have to turn the checker off and back on for it to work again (another right click option that is missing here)). Now it doesn't work at all.

I'm a horrible speller (I did however once win an award at the the spealing be - It was for the worst of the wors t :-).

Let me know if there's a fix for this as it's driving me crazy.

Thanks

• Members

The spell checker is built into the browser, and is turned on for elements whose contenteditable and spellcheck attributes are set.

Unfortunately, the forum software is trapping probably the contextmenu or mousedown events on the text entry widget that is currently in use, preventing you from using that functionality in your browser. If you are using firefox, you MIGHT be able to get it to work by turning on caret browsing and using the keyboard.

BTW, digging through the source, I see there is a simpler editor based on a they could turn on. I sure wish they would do that, it would also fix the problem with iPad data entry. More complex is not always better.

Wes

• Members

Thanks Craig. Yes I know the spell checker is in the browser and not the forum software. Both browsers I use used to work just fine, now it tells me I've spelled the word incorrectly BUT a right click only gives me a cut,copy, paste choice (I also noticed that if I highlight a word and try and copy it I must use a keyboard short cut (R click isn't allowed - on this forum only)). Something changed and considering I get the same result from two different browsers at different locations, I'd say probably it's forum software.

As long as they are aware of it and trying to make it right - give my thanks to the IT guys at the forum. Just wanted to make sure someone knew about it.

BTW as of this posting, it's not fixed yet (I just tried it :-).

Thanks again.

JR

• Members

Still seems to be not playing nice with chrome at work (using Version 40.0.2214.91 m). but the newest Firefox update at home seemed to fix the issue.

I remember having to use Google (in another tab) as a spell checker. I'm back at it. The trick is recognizing whether you spelled it wrong in the first place :-).

My guess is it will all get worked out eventually.

Thanks

JR

• Members

No, Dan's right. harmonycentral.com and http://www.harmonycentral.com resolve to different IP addresses, and harmonycentral.com is offline.

The IP number for harmonycentral.com is assigned to Lithium Technologies. The IP number for http://www.harmonycentral.com is owned by Single Hop. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Lithium is getting sick if redirecting requests for a former client. The DNS administrator for harmonycentral.com (gc@guitarcenter.com?) should add

IN CNAME www harmonycentral.com.

to their zone file and remove

IN A www 208.74.204.227

Wes

• Members

I've been rather reluctant to bring this old issue up but I'm getting more and more times in the past few weeks when the site won't load at all for me. Just hangs part way through. I come back later and it loads albeit slower than the other forums I visit. I don't want to throw stones. I don't pay anything for this service and appreciate what I get/learn here. Just sayin'

• CMS Author
No' date=' Dan's right. harmonycentral.com and www.harmonycentral.com resolve to different IP addresses, and harmonycentral.com is offline.

The IP number for harmonycentral.com is assigned to Lithium Technologies. The IP number for www.harmonycentral.com is owned by Single Hop. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Lithium is getting sick if redirecting requests for a former client. The DNS administrator for harmonycentral.com (gc@guitarcenter.com?) should add

IN CNAME www harmonycentral.com.

to their zone file and remove

IN A www 208.74.204.227

Wes

We weren't a former client, but may be now. HC had about a year left on the contract with Lithium when the site was moved to the vB software platform. It may be that the contract has expired and Lithium pulled the plug.

I'll ask around.

• Members
Still seems to be not playing nice with chrome at work (using Version 40.0.2214.91 m). but the newest Firefox update at home seemed to fix the issue.

I remember having to use Google (in another tab) as a spell checker. I'm back at it. The trick is recognizing whether you spelled it wrong in the first place :-).

My guess is it will all get worked out eventually.

Thanks

JR

It seems to work fine now with Chrome V 40.0.2214.94 m. Don't know if the browser update or the forum IT guys fixed it but it's all good now. Tell the IT guys Thanks.

JR

Archived