GEQ for front house?

• Members

You're not lucky, you're just at the mercy of the internal processing combined with how you set up the channel strip EQs on your board.

Does it sound fine? If so, then (by definition) it is fine. Doesn't mean it couldn't be better, though.

Wes

• Members

This might help out a little about EQ-ing, although now a days with digital mixers and drive rack speaker processors not only give you GEQ but also PEQ. Since some user prefer to use PEQ for more detailed EQ-ing when using PEQ.

• Members
I typically use some kind of Graph for FOH. Even a basic 10 or 15 band can make all the differance.

Or it can completely &u©# things up. As with any addition to your system you need to define what exactly it is your trying to fix. Typically any eq that is placed after or inserted on your main outputs is there to fix an issue, not act as a tone control. And the better the resolution of that eq, the more precise the adjustment. That would be why you typically see 31 band or parametric eq being used for the job. 10 or 15 band eq are like performing micro surgery with a machete. You might make it sound different, but you'll probably hack up your sound pretty badly in the process.

• CMS Author

I've used GEQ on FOH. Then I stopped. Alternate universes weren't formed, there was no plague of locusts, and my whites still got white. Maybe having decent speakers and gear helps (okay, it definitely helps), but I'm in the camp that believes that unless there's something noticeably wrong, then everything's alright. It's so easy to endlessly F with the EQ for something "better" that's really only better because it's different. And our brains like different when it comes to sounds. The thing is, in a short period of time "different" turns into "normal" again, and what you had before will then sound "different" and therefore "better".

If the band's or venues' check have cleared, you're doing something right and don't need to worry about it unless you want to.

• Members

I Fully understand how to use a EQ and the limitations of various equalizers. Any equalizer regardless of bands, Parametric or graphic or shelving can get you into trouble, its like any tool. I dont always even use it.but its nice to know its available and i know how to deploy it

• Members

It's nice to have but an EQ can rarely fix room problems (placement and pattern control is your best bet). In the end a bad room is a bad room and there's only so much you can do. If your gear is decent and setup properly you really shouldn't need an EQ at FOH.

Done many gigs without FOH EQ with great results.

my .02

• Members

If a problem arises, it's probably a room issue and/or a poorly setup PA. both should have been corrected before the event began. I realize SR is a tradeoff. Sometimes there isn't time or the space to set your gear properly. Of course you try and avoid these situations but if it happens, it's usually only one or two higher gain mics. Do the best you can with strip EQ. After working a myriad of different rooms, usually you can outguess PA type & placment (remember an EQ is really the last and worst way to try and fix acoustic issues).

I REALLY try and run the room flat BUT if all else fails, sure a little EQ can be a loose band aid in a pinch. Almost every digital board made has at least some basic parametric EQ on the output side. If you can't fix it with a couple of bands of EQ, it probably can't be fixed. Turning down is an option (sometimes). An old trick is, if you think the room sucks, start low and work your way up.

another .02

Archived