Out-of-tolerance Chinese XLRs

• Members

We discussed these last year, but I don't recall a brand name being mentioned.

I have some cables with Ningbo Neutrik connectors here which won't go into female ends without being forced. It is not the barrel of the connector, I believe it is the diameter of the pins. I can't find the batteries for my digital vernier calipers right now to double-check, though.

Am I the only one having trouble with these connectors? I figured that since they were made under license from Neutrik that they would be dimensionally correct. I have observed about a 20% problem rate on these connectors. That's really annoying. I will pay more attention to connector brands on cable I buy from now on.

(Any of you still using Canon ends? How about Amphenol?)

Wes

• Members

I have found quite a difference in the powder coating on the casting on some of these connectors.

For 1/4" PCB mount jacks, I have swithed over to specifying Amphenol exclusively because the quality is nice. Have not explored Amphenol XLR's (yet) because I have been quite pleased with Neutrik (Non-Ningbo)

• Members

I initially suspected the exterior powder coating on these, and went so far as to take one down on a bench grinder to see if that would make a difference. I didn't take take down the inner surface, though, the grinder won't fit in there. I guess that's another place where they could be too tight; I really should get out the calipers.

Thanks for the feedback on the Amphenol XLRs, Dennis. Getting small quantities (10) of Neutrik here can be expensive, I was looking at Amphenols the other day somewhere and realized that (including shipping) they were less than half the price.

I have been using the Amphenol ACPM series right angle phone plugs and have given away several to local musicians to test durability. So far, everybody is very happy. They are very cost effective (< $2) and really easy to assemble.

Wes

• Members

A note about Amphenol -- it looks like the old Australian ITT Cannon (inventor of XLR) plant was sold to Alcatel and then Amphenol. That's a pretty good pedigree. I think I will order some the next time I need something from a vendor that carries them (eg Parts Express).

Wes

• Members

Amphenols? With the crimp connectors? When they fail I cut the cord and throw the end away, there is no repair. I don't buy any either. I always buy the ewi black xlr ends. Cost effective and they do very well over the years I've had them (10+ now?). Neutrik is excellent as well. Mark is nice, I'll buy from Audiopile when I need parts. And cases. And cables. And drum mics.

• Members
Amphenols? With the crimp connectors? When they fail I cut the cord and throw the end away' date=' there is no repair. I don't buy any either. I always buy the ewi black xlr ends. Cost effective and they do very well over the years I've had them (10+ now?). Neutrik is excellent as well. Mark is nice, I'll buy from Audiopile when I need parts. And cases. And cables. And drum mics.[/quote']

I'm sure Amphenol has a version of cheapy crimp connectors just like Neutrik does but that is not what was being discussed here.

• Members

Well, this is weird. I found a battery for my digital calipers and verified the pins are dimensionally correct. The housing also measures fine. I compared against a nearly identical Lichtenstein Neutrik NC-MX end. So I put this connector back together again, and it works perfectly now.

I wonder if they somehow managed to assemble them cock-eyed at the cable assembly plant? Or maybe it's possible for the inner piece to somehow rotate a few degrees despite the stop?

Wes

• Members
So I put this connector back together again, and it works perfectly now.

I wonder if they somehow managed to assemble them cock-eyed at the cable assembly plant?

I suspect this is the case. I suspect there's a relief in the inside of the shell that the contact body is suppose to seat into, and tolerances of the shell relief and contact body are fairly close, and if-so and if the contact body was not properly seated down into the shell's relief during assembly, the result of the assembled connector could likely (undoubtedly) be that the contact pins are cockeyed to the shell, which would more than likely result in extremely difficult mating to a female connector.

And if this is the case, I'd be concerned about possible damage to the contact sockets in any female connectors you attempted a forced fit with the poorly fitting male connector(s).

• Members

I generally stick with Neutrik connectors for audio cables, but wanted something different on DMX so I could differentiate them at a glance. I've been using Rapco's generic Switchcraft clone for a while, but recently got some DMX cables from them that use a REAN XLR. REAN used to look like a cloned Neutrik, but they have their own distinctive shape now. The fit, finish and function are very nice, and they are economical. I have not yet seen them listed for sale as parts anywhere, but they are an option on Rapco's basic balanced cables.

• Members

I dug through my shop garbage this morning and found another one of these connectors that I had thrown out. Disassembled, reassembled, works perfectly now. I never imagined it was possible to put these things together wrong.

As for the females I tried - I don't think I pushed hard enough to damage anything. I tend to be pretty careful with this stuff and know hard I should be pushing.

Wes

Archived