Cheapest PA system/ amp I can plug my SM57 into for live performances?

• Members

Hey guys, long story short I have an SM57 and XLR cable I use for a bit of recording. Although I know it's not the best mic for live performances, it's all I have. So I was wondering how I would set it up to sing over guitar and drums in a live setting? Basically I have my guitar into my amp, my friend drums, and I need something to plug my SM57 into as a vocal speaker/whatever to go over our guitar/drum combo for jamming, playing parties or even bars or whatever.

PA speaker cabinets - $220

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-pro-audio-rec...ationFlag=true

$_20.JPG

Yorkville Elite speaker - $100

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-pro-audio-rec...ationFlag=true

$_20.JPG

or something from Long and McQuade maybe

https://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=d...2&FilterCost=1

Behringer - 600 Watt PA Speaker w/Woofer - 12 inch - $140

md_VS1220F_2.png

https://www.long-mcquade.com/26451/Pro_Audio_Recording/PA_Cabinets/Behringer/600_Watt_PA_Speaker_w_Woofer_-_12_inch.htm#Reviews-tab

Any info would be appreciated!

Also, I'm just getting into singing now, here's some of my vocals if you would give me constructive criticism/feedback on my singing its appreciated aswell.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...on-an-acoustic

• Members

If buying new, get a single good powered speaker. Or you could always get the drummer to back off and turn down your amp. That gives you a lot of available headroom for cheaper but still good equipment. Loud drummers double or quadruple your PA outlay. (That might be very conservative.) Loud guitarists do too. Actually anything loud, will increase the PA costs quickly. sometimes it's easier to find quieter bandmates than more money.

SM57 is a decent mic. for close vocal work, get a wind screen. I know the ones designed for that mic cost a lot more, but they are worth it. The cartridge on the 57 is the same one as on the SM58. Good general purpose mic without as much of a pop filter and the 57 wind screens make up for it. (And still look pretty good.)

• CMS Author

Just a note or reminder that the speakers you posted are all "passive", meaning they are just speakers with no preamp and amplifier. If you buy any of them, you will also need a small mixer and an amplifier, or you need a "powered" mixer/amp, which is a mixer and amp or amps in one box. As suggested, you'll be better off with one or more "active" or "powered" speakers, which have a one or two channel mixer and amplifier built in. These work out better for expansion...you can always add a mixer and other speakers as your needs and budget grow. All the issues like "what amp is the right power for these speakers?" are worked out for you too, so the technical details don't get in the way of getting the job done.

For new, I'd look at Electro-Voice's ZLX powered, or Yamaha's DBR series. Good quality at very reasonable prices.

• Members

How much of a hurry are you in? L&M has a big sale at the end of February every year, on used PA stuff. Usually they have NX25P for around 325 and NX55P for around 550. Easy financing too. One of those speakers, plus a stand for it, would be enough to run an acoustic guitar and your SM57 for an audience to hear. As long as your drummer isn't a stupid loud fool.

• Members
SM57 is a decent mic. for close vocal work' date=' get a wind screen. I know the ones designed for that mic cost a lot more, but they are worth it. The cartridge on the 57 is the same one as on the SM58. Good general purpose mic without as much of a pop filter and the 57 wind screens make up for it. (And still look pretty good.) [/quote']

Agreed the 57 with a windscreen is a pretty good vocal mic (Really I like the B-57 a LOT for this application). Small point of clarification though, I don't believe the 57 & 58 cartridge are the same. They are very close but not an exact match (just being nit picky :-).

For many years now the 57 (with factory wind sock) has been the mic of choice at the Presidential podium. Should tell you something.

Back to the OP. There are a number of powered speakers that have an XLR input with a mic/line switch (which means mic preamp on board). I know you're talking budget here but it's hard for me to recommend anything so cheap that it might fail within the first few gigs. Any of the Yorkville gear that wesg suggested should do you well. You might look into a used JBL eon or Mackie powered speaker for around the same price range. Stay away from bottom feeder gear (no name or low end brands) and you should do well. You never know you might want to expand someday.

my .02

• Members

It is entirely possible that the 57 and 58 aren't the same cartridge, but I've had this understanding for about 40 years. If this were coming from AgedHorse, you can take it to the bank. (Man really knows his stuff.) I've been using 57s since 1970 and don't think I've ever owned a 58.

On the other hand, it really doesn't matter in the end. Both are reasonably priced, pretty good and very useful mics. (And they are hard to kill.) I have an early model called a Unidyne III from about 1970 and will probably be using it next monday when I'm doing a panel discussion and police/community relations. (Probably be using all my mics and desk stands. I've rarely had more than 6 live mics in that case.)

• Members

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1118

The SM57 and SM58 microphones are based on the same cartridge design. The main difference is in the grille design. The SM58 was designed for vocal application and it uses a ball grille that acts as an effective pop filter. The SM57 was designed as an instrument microphone where a smaller grille size is preferred. In this application, pop and wind are not usually a concern. The SM57 uses an integral resonator/grille assembly, where grille is actually a part of the cartridge. These two grille designs place the diaphragm of each microphone in a different acoustical environment. The distance from the top of the grille to the diaphragm is shorter on the SM57 compared to that of the SM58. This allows for a closer miking position with a more pronounced proximity effect. The different resonator/grille assembly design of the SM57 is also responsible for its slightly higher output above 5 kHz.

The element they both use is the Unidyne III.

Wes

• Members

Yes and no, they are based on the same design but the mechanicals are quite different and they are not inter-changeable as the mechanicals are part of the assembly (ie. they can not be user separated). Because the mechanicals are so different, the internal acoustic environment is also quite different and thus the sound is different.

Just because a product is based on the same core design dosn't make it the same. It's no different than stating that 2 amplifiers use the same output transistors and therefore work the same. It's all the external glue that holds a design together that's for the most part responsible for it's overall performance.

http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1118/kw/sm58%20sm57/session/L3RpbWUvMTQxOTYzNTQ3My9zaWQvT1FqNUlVYW0%3D

Archived