What do you think about this gear offer?

• Members

This is for a venue I provide for. They have a small setup (Mixwiz, 3 EV powered speakers, couple mics, couple DI's) they get by for their open mic and smaller gigs. Then they have a local guy with some gear and they also get me to provide depending on who's available. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg Their other sound guy has offered to sell them some gear of his. He says he's "getting out" of the sound business, but he's not offering to sell them all his gear. Besides what's listed, he has mics, 2 more of those speakers along with subs (not sure of the model) at best I'm thinking its a lateral move with the board since they will still be at 16 channels. The speakers as far as I can tell are 250W each. Not bad coupled with the subs but a little weak by themselves. This is just me going by the number, I'll be checking out one of his gigs soon. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg The prices he's listed as far as I can tell are the new prices. The gear is a couple years old but still looks nice and shiny from what I can see, and it looks like he's giving them 30% off of the new price which doesn't seem like a lot to me, especially since they will have to buy more gear to fill it out. If he's "getting out" of the biz she's wondering why he isn't selling it all, and just kinda has an uneasy feeling about it all, and wanted my opinion. I told her I was unfamiliar with the model numbers so I would ask here for some input. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg One thing I suggested is using their 3 speakers as monitors and then looking at a full setup.Nfor FOH. They are a non-profit with some funding available. I'll have to try to get some budget numbers from them to see what they should be looking at for gear. If they wanted to stay analog, there's some good deals out the to be had for outboard gear. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg Just thought I'd ask what you guys thought of the models and the prices.... 51B91047-F528-488D-9420-16A12A939F32.jpg

• Members

I told her I paid $3600 for my StudioLive mixer, it's now worth around $1200 with a case. She asked him if he's selling to upgrade his rig. He says no, but then why is he only selling some of it. I said there's nothing wrong with a MixWiz and at best it's probably a lateral move mixer-wise. Guessing from the model number the speakers are 250W and she should have more for mains, again maybe she's better off buying subs for the tops they have. They have 3 EV ELX115P

• Members

You're right about the lateral move, that's not much of a step up. And you can buy a brand new GB4-16 for less than his price, including the 30% "discount". With the mixer, effects, and EQ, at his -30% price, you'd be about $200 away from buying a full size X32. His pricing is definitely out of line.

If you're buying analog gear, you'd better be getting a really good deal on it. It's value isn't going up.

Here's a better idea:

X32 compact - You can find them for $1,600 ish

You won't need any outboard, so that leaves you plenty of room for new FOH speakers. Use the ELX for monitors. Getting subs for them wouldn't be a terrible idea, as long as you get subs large enough to go with whatever you upgrade to from the ELX in the future.

FWIW, the SXA250 is a decent sounding speaker for what it is. They make decent monitors and front fills. But you can pick them up for $300-$400 each. Those are the only things on the list that could have any real value to you, in my opinion.

• Members

My first impression was that the pricing was waaaaay too high. After digging around a bit, I see that it's not as bad as I first thought, and here's why;

1. This is Canadian pricing. (our dollar is currently at $0.88 U.S.)

2. Canadian market-place pricing. (usually MUCH higher than U.S. pricing).

The prices indicated on the list (before discount), are the current selling prices for "new and un-boxed" equipment (with full warrantee). That said; If the gear is obviously well-cared for and in like-new condition, it may be worth buying, but I'd consider offering him 20% less than his current asking price; roughly $2500. After all, there's no warranty on any of this gear

The SXa250 is not the loudest 15" box out there, but it is also one of the sweetest-sounding 15" boxes I've heard, almost rivaling some good 12" boxes.

The GB4 mixer is valued a bit high. Current pricing for "new" at FullCompass and BH Photo, is around $1600. U.S. ($1800 CDN). Used analog boards are going for peanuts these days. I payed $1250. for a nearly new Allen & Heath GL2400-24 in a rolling case w/dog-house, and that case alone was worth $800. new. I bought that mixer at least 3 years ago. (if not 4 years ago)

The dbx 2231 is currently going for $614."new" at L&M.

Steve's Music was where I first saw the SXa250's seven years ago,,, and they were going for roughly $1100./box back then. He's listed the "value" at $1580/pair, minus 30%, which equates to roughly $1100./pair.

• Members

The prices for the Lexicon and dbx 2231 are street prices new. They're fine if you need that. Does the venue need a dbx 2231 as opposed to the dbx 231s?

The real question, though is - does that venue really need a $2000 16-channel analog mixer?

I think this guy is trying to feather his nest.

As a point of comparison, we paid $800 for a lightly used Mackie Onyx 24-4 mixer about 14 months ago. That mixer was worth over $2000 new.

Something else to think about, if the venue decides to upgrade with the right digital gear, they will simply not need racks of effects, EQ, and so on.

Wes

• Members
Food for thought; Does anybody at the venue have the skills to operate a "digital" mixer???
At the moment... No. They have a kid who started in the summer. He's learning' date=' and can halfway get around on the Mixwiz. Some bands have BE's most I've done they don't. (No problem I'm comfortable on digital) but I'm not always the guy at the board. [img']http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg[/img] The guy selling the gear often mans his own system (the gear for sale along with 2 more monitors, subs and tops) I think I'll go to the next gig and see how he does. Often they do shows during the week and I'm an hour away, and often teaching during the week. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg I don't know if I'm down for training who could become my competition, but if they get their own house rig, it might bea case of myself popping in as BE to run things depending on who is around.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived