Donated Alesis 3630 - Use it or not?... and on what?

• Members

Our guitarist donated an Alesis 3630 2-ch Compressor/Limiter/Gate rack unit to me this weekend for our outboard FX rack. Is it any good?... and where should I use it with our live 12-piece band w/ horn section? I'm thinking on the snare drum, but where else? FWIW - We use PRX mains with very little EQ, have 4 vocalists w/ 7 monitor mixes overall, one aux send to a Lexicon MX200 for vocal FX, and typically do minimal micing on the drum kit... kick, snare, and one OH indoors... Kick, snare, hat, 2 OH, and 3 toms outdoors. Horn section consists of 2 Trumpets, Sax/Flute, and TBone and we also have a violin and mandolin in the mix as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

• Members

sounds like a cool band.

who gives you the most broad dynamic issues that might could use some subtle smoothing? do you have and use sub masters on your mix, like all vocals, drums or horn section?

I rarely use one on snare drum, especially on a gig size where PRX mains would be enough. I always use a comp on kick drum and lead vocal. if the bass amp is really small, sometimes on a bass amp. You could submix your horn section to a sub master and comp it. That keeps it off the mon mix too.

• Members

Ah, the infamous "Dirty Thirty".

If you don't know where to use it, it's best to leave it disconnected and just use it for the pretty lights ;) .

I didn't see keyboards listed in your band but that's a good place for a limiter and gate. I usually gate the kick also "as needed".

• Members

We have keys, too... i always forget to list, but they're on almost every song except when that guy gets bored and picks up his trumpet to help out with the Chicago tunes or plays acoustic on some country stuff. Many in our band are music teachers and/or multi-instrumentalists... "everybody move one chair to the left!" Thanks for all the suggestions! The electric violin is really not uniform in volume across its range, so that might be a good spot to use that "dirty 30". Our sax/flute uses the same gooseneck condenser for both and the flute is never close enough to it, but I'm afraid the comp would just make feedback more likely there. I'm working on a headset mic for her to use with with the flute. I do like the idea of comping the horns as a group and keeping the effect out of their Mon mix... thanks!

• Members
We have keys' date=' too... i always forget to list, but they're on almost every song except when that guy gets bored and picks up his trumpet to help out with the Chicago tunes or plays acoustic on some country stuff. Many in our band are music teachers and/or multi-instrumentalists... "everybody move one chair to the left!" Thanks for all the suggestions! The electric violin is really not uniform in volume across its range, so that might be a good spot to use that "dirty 30". Our sax/flute uses the same gooseneck condenser for both and the flute is never close enough to it, but I'm afraid the comp would just make feedback more likely there. I'm working on a headset mic for her to use with with the flute. I do like the idea of comping the horns as a group and keeping the effect out of their Mon mix... thanks![/quote']

I'd think it might cause a feedback issue with the violin as well. Comps aren't great at fixing scale inconsistencies (more like EQ) unless you use it as a multiband (which burns both channels ( sidechained)) AND two board channels. IMO not worth the hassle. Possibly you need an impedance match to make the violin sound more even (don't know what it is - just a quick guess). Unless you're volume is REALLY controlled, I don't ever recommend using a comp for anything that folds back.

Just my .02

• Members

Excellent point. The violinist uses an electric violin AND in-ears, but she's also in the monitor mix for the horns that flank her... so feedback might still be an issue.

I have a '66 Fender XII and I'd never use it without a compressor on it. It's just so much less... 12-stringy without it. Not sure how to approach the violinist about the issue... probably just the nature of the beast. The lower two strings just roar while the upper two purr. Might be her technique, but I seriously doubt it. I have a mono 31-band EQ that I might throw on her channel to see if I can dial it in any better. The 4 band EQs on our GB4 just aren't enough.

Maybe I'll just use the Alesis as a space filler and watch the pretty lights as suggested. ;)

Archived