cable tester

• Members

I'll make a general recommendation, but that could vary depending on what you're testing. If you're just doing quick tests on XLR, 1/4", 1/8" and RCA cables, you can't beat the Ebtech Swizz Army. It works great and is very durable. The intermittent detect feature is very useful, and the main reason I like this particular tester. The Behringer version isn't nearly the same quality, in my experience.

My other favorite tester, that's useful for testing snakes, is a Rat Sniffer from Rat Sound. The ends are separate, so you can test the far end of a snake easily. It can run on phantom power, so if you can apply phantom to all the snake lines you don't necessarily need to have someone on the other end moving the tester from line to line. They have XLR and 1/4" versions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
like the intermittent function.

Concerning testing for intermittents: I don't recall that I've ever identified an intermittent signal cable when the cable was relatively static (stationary). It seems that generally if the cable is intermittent, the intermittent happens in-use... ie: the cable is getting moved around... vocalist handling a wired mic, instrument cable hooked to a mobile instrument, etc... or the cable is in an elevated SPL environment. Therefore, I suggest when testing for intermittents, or rather one portion of testing a cable, is to give the cable a good wiggle-about while doing the testing. For me, simply "audio testing" in an "as it will typically be used" setting works well (for me).

• Members

When testing for an intermittent cable, you hook the cable up to the tester and wiggle the cable. When a bad connection occurs, the light pattern will tell you which line is bad. It also has clues as to where the connection needs to be repaired. I'm using a Behringer tester. Only thing I hate, is the exposed on/off switch that gets switched on while moving around in my tool box.

• Members

To test for intermittent opens, I will short the cable at one end and use the continuity buzzer on my DMM at the other end. Then I will wiggle the cable throughout the suspected bad area. If there is a blip in the tone, the bad spot has been identified. If the cable has more than two conductors, this needs to be repeated for each conductor-pair until all conductors have been tested.

I'm actually surprised that cable testers can test for intermittent opens. Maybe I should invest in one. My testing method, while sound, is time-consuming.

Archived