2 Ohm Load on QSC RMX 1850HD and 4050HD Power Amps?

• Members

Brochures and manuals for these amps say they are fine running a 2 ohm load on each side, but a local sound engineer I talked to at a gig last night said I shouldn't go below 4 ohms, even with those amps. I have been running up to (3) 8 ohm mains/tops per side with the 1850HD and up to (3) 8 ohm subs per side with the 4050HD. Should I not do that?

• CMS Author

The manuals are correct, these amps are fine down to 2 ohms. However, speaker impedances are variable depending on the frequency, and it's possible that the impedance at any given moment could be lower than 2 ohms. This usually isn't a problem, but if you're pushing the rig hard, you could eventually have problems. It's also a good idea to both have more rig than you need (so you aren't pushing it hard all the time) and to not run into the minimum impedance...in the event that something does fail, it's good to have the ability to double up a speaker set on one amp channel to make it through a gig. If you're already using the amp at minimum impedance, you don't have that flexibility.

So all being said, the person you talked with is essentially right.

• Members

Note that we aren't even talking about a 2 ohm load here.

This is a 2.667 ohm load, so there's a fudge factor already in play. In my experience with the 1850HD, I've driven 2 ohm loads hundreds (maybe thousands?) of times over probably a decade without a hitch.. YMMV

• Members
The HD after the model number indicated a power supply modified specifically for 2 ohm' date=' higher duty cycle operation.[/quote']

And that's the reason I got those 2 amps (the 1850HD and 4050HD), so that I could run 1, 2 or 3 8 ohm speakers/side depending on the size of the gig. So I should be fine, right?

• Members
Well from personal experience a 2450 doesn't like a 2 ohm load for more than about 5 hours...then it starts becoming unstable. Also the time before it shuts down depends on environment the amp is in, i.e., humid-hot.

Right, but do you see the HD after the model number on the 2450??? The 2450 is NOT designed for high duty cycle 2 ohm loads (per channel) or 4 ohms bridged.

Archived