Kinda off topic, Guitar Center no longer sell Behringer products.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GC wanted special pricing that was no longer acceptable to Behringer (IMHO). Once the X32 line got to be their biggest selling mixer, and they got plenty of sales portals established, Behringer no longer needed to pay the additional GC "tax" to sell their mixers on the GC floor.

I believe (speculation) that Behringer simply ran the numbers and found that they would make more profit without their relationship with GC.

I suspect that the customer asking about the X32 still ended up purchasing one, just not from GC.

• Members
What reason could there be that was so top secret that it couldn't even be speculated about here?? If you tell us you'll have to kill us or something?

Sometimes, we learn things that are not acceptable for us to disclose. Especially if being in the industry gets us information that would be considered not available to non-insiders. It goes towards trust of such inside sources, and respect for such trust.

• Members

Behringer is in a cash rich situation and is very financially stable. GC is hanging on to their very lives by the skin of their teeth. In such an unbalanced negotiating environment it is not uncommon for things to go south and completely break down.

IMHO, GC will be hurt much more than Behringer by this situation.

• Members
Sometimes' date=' we learn things that are not acceptable for us to disclose. Especially if being in the industry gets us information that would be considered not available to non-insiders. It goes towards trust of such inside sources, and respect for such trust. [/quote']

"Insiders"? We're talking retail here, not defense contractors. What? Heads are gonna roll if the details of the big Behringer vs. Guitar Center war are divulged on a nearly-defunct forum site? Please. And we're all just speculating and sharing rumors anyway.

But, if it's really the case that it's all so personal and should be kept hush hush in public, then why tell anyone you even know anything?

• Members

For some folks, yes, heads could roll if they disclosed inside information. For example, there are many things I just can't discuss because of nondisclosure agreements and company policies with regards to such matters. To some folks, rumors can cause big problems. Retail is a big deal if that's how you make your living.

• CMS Author

"Insiders"? We're talking retail here, not defense contractors. What? Heads are gonna roll if the details of the big Behringer vs. Guitar Center war are divulged on a nearly-defunct forum site? Please. And we're all just speculating and sharing rumors anyway.

But, if it's really the case that it's all so personal and should be kept hush hush in public, then why tell anyone you even know anything?

Why would you take this much issue with my post, but none with one that posts unsubstantiated rumor?

• Members

Not completely unsubstantiated, but not more credible than rumour. http://www.musicindustrynews.com/news/behringer-hits-back-at-guitar-center-axing/

As for Andy keeping his mouth shut..David, if I learned something significant about a competitor or partner at work, especially via one of my suppliers or customers, and I made that information public, it could have extremely serious consequences. I work in a small industry built on NDAs and personal relationships. So does Andy.

Wes

• Members

Why would you take this much issue with my post, but none with one that posts unsubstantiated rumor?

Sorry I said anything at all. Not trying to cause any trouble here. Just that, if it were me, I knew something I couldn't divulge, I wouldn't state repeatedly that I know "something" in public either. I'd probably just keep my mouth shut. Especially if it, too, were just hearsay and not substantiated either beyond that I trust the source.

As far as speculation goes? Well, both sides have publically stated that the issue has to do with "business terms" and we know that one company is financially sound and the other is not. And while anything is possible in the world, it doesn't really make a lot of sense that Behringer would be doing anything that GC would find to be so unfavorable that they would dump them that they wouldn't also be doing to every other major retailer around the world, does it?

But who knows? Maybe Uli got caught sleeping with the GC CEO's daughter or something. Anything's possible.

• Members

FWIW, there was a big ol' thread about this here earlier this year. At that time all the companies affiliated with GC had dropped Behringer. I just noticed that Musicians Friend is actually selling Behringer again, so something has changed. Another companion company, Music 123, also stocks Behringer. It seems odd that the online stores are selling again, but not the retail stores. I'm sure tons more gear is moved online than at the brick and mortar stores.

• Members
Hmmmm could it be someone owes $ to someone? purely speculation on my part of course....:)

What DOESN'T make any sense is that if you're a big retailer having money issues, that you decide to stop carrying the biggest/best selling manufacturer of audio products in the world. The last thing GC can likely afford is to be telling people "yeah...we don't carry that and can't get it for you. You need to go somewhere else if you want that."

I also have plenty of retail and other business experience and understand the world of credit and terms pretty well. If you're a manufacturer/distributor and one of your biggest clients starts having money issues, the first thing you do is extend their credit terms to the degree you can afford to in order to help them get through the rough patch. But if that doesn't seem to be helping much and things start looking dire for the client? Then the 2nd thing you do is you start asking for your money upfront because the last thing you need is having anymore cash "out there" than is absolutely necessary. Suddenly COD or 30-days-net becomes the terms which, unfortunately, is usually the last thing the down-on-their-luck client can afford to come up with.

And then the client starts whining that "you've changed the rules up on me!" Well, no. The truth is that you've forced me into this position.

I know how much everyone here hates Behringer. That's fine. But the truth is that it's pretty obvious that GC would need Behringer much more at this point than the other way around.

Now MAYBE there's some other super top-secret reason behind all this that can't be divulged lest heads roll for exposing these secrets to the general public. Anything's possible. But my years of experience and my common sense make me skeptical.

• Members

It is really a shame IMHO. I don't cast blame in either direction. Having been caught with outstanding monies when customers went bankrupt, I am familiar with the risks associated in extending credit ..... or not forcing payment of your goods up front. You end up with a ton of bad dept and all you can do is write it off ..... and learn from the experience.

• Members

I'll say again. BEHRINGER IS BACK in the Guitar Center / Ares Mgmt fold. It's just not in the retail GC stores. This summer all the GC online affiliates also pulled Behringer. Look now and it's all back. So there is more to it than just money owed. I have to believe the retail stores move far less gear than MF, which is likely the highest volume online music store in the USA. So the payment terms are seemingly not the issue.

• Members
I'll say again. BEHRINGER IS BACK in the Guitar Center / Ares Mgmt fold. It's just not in the retail GC stores. This summer all the GC online affiliates also pulled Behringer. Look now and it's all back. So there is more to it than just money owed. I have to believe the retail stores move far less gear than MF' date=' which is likely the highest volume online music store in the USA. So the payment terms are seemingly not the issue.[/quote']

Perhaps, but then why not bring the gear back to the stores (or maybe that's coming?)

My speculation would be that gear sold on the websites could be ordered-and-paid for on an as-sold basis. So the terms would be much different than it would be for purchasing gear needed to be stocked in the brick and mortar stores.

• Members
I just came across this. Interesting read that indicates GC is going away any time soon.

http://fortune.com/2014/08/07/guitar-center-expansion/

Well, that IS encouraging! While I hold the same general disdain for GC that I hold for all big-box retailers, and while I don't really like the idea of them moving into smaller markets (and therefore pushing out even more mom-and-pops, no doubt), I'm glad to see they are taking aggressive steps to revive their business rather than closing up shop.

Archived