Mackie's DL32R are being delivered

• Members

One of the early adopters had his delivered yesterday. Posted a video of unboxing and setting it up. (This isn't as much fun as opening any Apple product, but it still is exciting.) Anyone still waiting around for another company's mixers that were announced more than 6 months ago? Only thing waiting now is the updated version of My Fader 3.0 (Volume control only for iphones and ipod touch. Great for personal monitor mixing.) Mackie's hoping to have it available before the end of the year. (Not a deal breaker for me. Master Fader 3.0 on an ipad does everything and more than My Fader.)

• Members

I just saw an online vendor saying that the XR18 will be in 12/15. Dunno if I believe that as the app still has some stuff that doesn't seem to work. Could be I just haven't figured it all out - took me forever to find out how to set the scribble strips and how DCA's work. Their implementation of DCA's is awesome BTW and they have a "skinny fader" mode where you can have all 18 channels + master available at once :) . But I really want a 24 channel rackmount next :( .

• Members
Master Fader 3 has completely sucked for me. Used it for two shows and will not use again. Slow metering' date=' channel dropouts the list goes on. It's basically become a doorstop.[/quote']

I have heard this complaint from a few people.

As for the OP, I am personally good with my X32 Rack for now and the foreseeable future; however, I am still very interested in the topic since I strongly believe that competition is good for the consumer ;)

With the exception of the new issues with MasterFader 3, I would have to say that the app is the most intuitive and usable app within the current generation. Hopefully Mackie will fix this soon.

As for the unit itself, I would be reluctant to recommend it until we get more feedback on the quality of the reverb. The DL's I played around with had "OK" verbs, but nothing like the lush, rich, and transparent verbs in the X32, Qu, and Expression Si.

Also, someone mentioned in another forum the lack of key filters on the gates in all the digital mixers with the exception of the X32 (within this class). I currently have vDrums in my band, but when I did have acoustic drums, I could not have lived without filtered gates. Who wants their tom drum gates opening every time you hit a cymbal or snare? I guess I just assumed that this feature was normal for anything but the cheapest outboard gates (even the old Behringer gate I once owned had this feature).

I do applaud Mackie for advancing their Master Fader program so far. I am currently waiting patiently for Behringer to upgrade my iPad app so I can enjoy the RTA on my tablet (it is currently only supported on the console and PC app).

• Members
Master Fader 3 has completely sucked for me. Used it for two shows and will not use again. Slow metering' date=' channel dropouts the list goes on. It's basically become a doorstop.[/quote']I really wished they had just gone for a V2.x bugfix. Sucks that the dB scales on the faders disappeared. I'm not seeing the slowdown much but I force-close all apps and reboot the iPad before a show. Apple sucks...

BTW I'm a bit horrified that the only way to control a DL32R is via a WIRELESS iPad, what happens when you're in a dense Wifi environment? My backup plan has always been to mix sidestage via the docked iPad on the DL1608 ...

• Members

Completely agree RR! I've been asking this question since it's inception. I would buy this tomorrow if I could hardwire my pad to the unit. Relying 100 percent on a wireless connection is insane!!!!!!!!!!.........

• Members

How could Mackie overlook this simple concept of wireless backup? Anyone who mixes at the professional level would be crazy to put all their eggs in the wireless realm with no way to physically connect if wireless craps out.

• Members
I don't get all the complaining about the DL verbs. If setup properly they are just as functional as in any of the mixers mentioned above.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It is a perfectly serviceable mixer with plenty to recommend it (especially its size). For me, the verbs are very important. To my ears, the DL's are just not at the same level as the X32, Qu and Expression Si.

I am not a big fan of the Presonus verbs either. This doesn't mean that the mixers can't get you a very good sounding mix, just that the verbs aren't to my standards. Of course YMMV.

• Members
Why? Perhaps at this level it just doesn't matter? It's not the type of product that would be selected for mission critical gigs... certainly not after the first wireless scare!
It's a 32 channel mixer - I can't see anyone below the general provider level buying a mixer that big? Heck, I'm bumping up against the 16 channel limit but a 24 channel (or even the 17 XLR + 6 line channel X32 Rack) would be plenty at 1/2 the price of the DL32R.

• Members

Couple of things. People who compared both the DL32R and DL1608 reverbs and delay say that they sound exactly the same. I expected that. There has been a lot of complaining about the reverbs, but there is a huge range of adjustment available. Also, you can run the effect out through the groups if you want. Returning effects to defaults is easier in MF 3.0

Now the wireless only aspect. There's no official way of connecting an ipad directly to the mixer, but there is a USB port on the back. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to connect the ipad through there. (I'm thinking about connecting through the USB (A) port. There is an USB (B) port too. Wouldn't expect that one to work with the ipad at all.) There might be more information in the hardware manual. (Will check later.)

• CMS Author
I really wished they had just gone for a V2.x bugfix. Sucks that the dB scales on the faders disappeared. I'm not seeing the slowdown much but I force-close all apps and reboot the iPad before a show. Apple sucks...

BTW I'm a bit horrified that the only way to control a DL32R is via a WIRELESS iPad, what happens when you're in a dense Wifi environment? My backup plan has always been to mix sidestage via the docked iPad on the DL1608 ...

Geez, I dunno...the device worked flawlessly wireless. It wouldn't connect when...um....connected.

• Members

One neat trick the X32 Rack has is that it can be wired via an Ethernet cable directly to a laptop in case of an emergency. It also has a (very) rudimentary physical interface and LCD as a last resort.

I think that the DL1608 paved the way for a wireless only mixer with no physical GUI. Unfortunately, there has been enough issues with the DL1608 and wireless that I think this setup has gotten a bad rap.

For the record, my X32 Rack has NEVER had a single problem connecting, or staying connected. I have used both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz with no issues at all. I really think that the technology is there, but Mackie's implementation is not. Behringer's interface is rock solid. I don't think I have even read of anyone having an issue with it in the (literally) thousands of posts on the subject. This leads me to believe that it is completely possible to have a very stable interface through wireless if you implement it correctly.

This would also be commensurate with my own engineering experience with wireless in assembly plant test systems. You can make a very robust wireless connection, but it requires a serious FMEA and attention to detail.

If the new DL32R has verbs identical to those on the DL1608, then they are indeed just "OK" rather than "great" IMHO.

• Members

I just noticed that the DL32R only has 3 FX slots - two always 'verbs and one always a delay. No chorus or anything like the vast selection of FX on an X32 family mixer.

Here's a video of one of the first end users setting one up - complete with external FX ;) :

[video=youtube_share;IPqM-jFLkWc]

• Members
If it doesn't have sidechain EQ on the comps' date=' it's a non-starter for me. Lack of a wired backup is a serious omission.[/quote']

I checked the user manual. The 16.4.2AI doesn't have key filter for the comps and gates, but the 24 and 32AI consoles as well as the RM's do.

• Members
If you are looking for a reason to not buy one' date=' you have my permission to blame me. [/quote']

Oh, I wouldn't say I wouldn't buy one (if in the market for such a device). Rather, I won't recommend one to others until I have heard a few local bands that I know use them for a time and report good things ;)

I still think the X32 Rack is a tough act to follow. The Android device support alone puts it into a class all by itself.

Archived