Battery operated condenser mics

• Members

A while back I asked about overhead mics that don't require phantom power as my DL1608 only has global phantom and I dislike using that :( . I now have a couple EV 635a dynamic omni's that work pretty well. Just now I scored a pair of clean EV 1750's off fleaBay for $50 shipped - these are condenser mics that use a single AA battery for about 1200 hours of life. I've been looking for something like those as I had used a similar pair back in the late 70's - they were Radio Shack private labelled Shure or EV maybe?

Anyways does anybody have an opinion on the EV 1750?

http://www.electrovoice.com/downloadfile.php?i=970312

• Members
I used the EV 1776 and bk1s over the years with good results.
Yah, I did finally find the old thread:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...lla-33/366680-

Those use a 4.5V battery for increased SPL capability, the 1750 uses an AA so can't be used for close micing amps and such - plus they are unbalanced although someone put XLR's on this pair. Looking at the schematic a resistor and cap could make them balanced output if I'm ever feelin' ambitious - just a simple FET follower ;) .

• Members
Takes more than a resistor and cap to make it truly balanced. Maybe impedance compensated?
You just put a resistor on "top" of the FET (drain) equal to the one on the "bottom" (source), tap your balanced signal across the FET, then Bob's your Uncle ;) .

Yah, somewhat poor linearity and obviously reduced headroom...

• Members
You just put a resistor on "top" of the FET (drain) equal to the one on the "bottom" (source), tap your balanced signal across the FET, then Bob's your Uncle ;) .

Yah, somewhat poor linearity and obviously reduced headroom...

Pretty non-linear with regards to impedance balance IIRC.

• Members

It seems to me AKG C1000 mics will work from internal batteries. Not my favorite mic but usable (and fairly inexpensive in the used market). Back in the 70's ~ 80's there were a lot of battery powered condensers. Some weren't too bad (Sony, Panasonic AKA Ramsa, & Sanken to name a few, made them). Problem is finding ones that still work well (older electret's could lose sensitivity over time - not a problem with the newer crop - starting with the SM81). Yes most were unbalanced but just lift the ground at the XLR you solder in place of the 1/4" and you're in business. Other than really noisy environments, it seems to work OK.

Just some thoughts

• Members
Problem is finding ones that still work well
These two have the original boxes' date=' paperwork, and all accessories - and have clean battery compartments so were taken care of.
Yes most were unbalanced but just lift the ground at the XLR you solder in place of the 1/4" and you're in business. Other than really noisy environments, it seems to work OK.
I assumed the XLRs had the grounds connected but I guess I'll see what's up when I get them. Assuming they have the original unbalanced cable maybe I can even replace the cable with shielded twisted pair, connect the shield to the body and float the electronics across the plus and minus? I'd prefer that they didn't short out the global phantom if for some reason I had it on...

• Members
If you want a good Australian product, and I know you do, try a Rode NT3.

Cheers

Forgot about these. Agreed Rode makes great mics. I had an NT4 that worked on batteries. I sold it for a song (an Ebay mistake I won't make again :-).

• Members

That Rodes is pretty cool but a bit heavy for an overhead and a bit more that the $25 each I paid for the 1750's ;) . Once the warranty expires on my DL1608 I'll probably open it up and clip out the phantom on at least half the channels. Maybe by then Mackie will have given it routeable inputs so I can "insert" the phantom capable channels wherever I need them? Presently a real PITA to insert an extra vocal or horn channel when you need one smiley-frustrated.

The X-air app lets you re-order the channels :cool:.

• Members
Do you actually have devices for whom the presence of phantom power is a problem?
Mostly a PITA to remember to mute a channel when plugging and unplugging stuff. Also if all cords and connections aren't 100% you get crackling noises :( . I also hate feeding phantom into things like bass amp DI's - had an older GK combo that was popping the other day from being fed phantom from the monitor board :( .

Oh, and just generally ticks me off that anyone would design a >$500 mixer that doesn't have at least all the features of an old MixWiz ;) .

• Members
A real bass amp DI is fully protected from phantom power
I need to verify the brand of the combo, I'm doing sound for them again on Friday I think. We're hopin' the "G" had a "K" after it ;) . Didn't cook it, just random low level crackle noises that went away when the phantom was switched off. Band wanted to do their own sidefill monitors from their own board (and my no-transformer splitter) and had the global phantom on :facepalm: .

• Members
This is where a 1:1 audio isolation transformer is a useful tool in the kit.
I carry six channel's worth of that - but don't usually bother on the bass amp as I'm often limited as to load-in and load-out time :( . Heck, I'll even use the four line inputs on the DL1608 directly for keys if I can get the mixer and keys on the same circuit. No 10am load-ins for a 9pm show for me LOL.

Archived