Mackie's Master Fader 3.0 released

• Members

Important things to know include this is a significant upgrade of the controlling software for the DL806 and DL1608 mixers. It also covers the soon to be available DL32R mixer. You can play with this software without the hardware. Only runs on ipad2 and later. (Mini's too.) It's got tools in it that had me running into the internet to see what it was and how it's used. (Stuff that doesn't exist on a MixWiz and I had never seen before.) So if you're an owner or considering the Mackie digital mixers, get the software and learn your way around. Then make a more informed choice.

• Members

So far no one who upgraded has reported any noise problems. Mackie didn't tell us what they found or how they cured it.

While I know that "White noise" and "pink noise" are different, I doubt that I could tell you which I was hearing. It really was the biggest problem on that mixer and very few people had experienced it. When I thought it had happened to me, it turned out to be interference on the lead singer's wireless receiver.

• CMS Author
Yea' date=' it requires at least ios 7.x so the original ipads can't upgrade to it. ipad 2s and later won't have any problems if they're upgraded to ios 7. Honestly, ios 8.x is running just fine on my ipad 2 and mini. [/quote']

This means no 1st gen iPad support. Considering there have been problems with connectivity to the mixer with that model, it lets Mackie off the hook to attempt a fix, but anyone who wanted to use an old iPad as their mixer tablet is left holding the bag. Oh well.

• Members

Ok, so in theory, the iPad 1 was discontinued first quarter 2011 and support no longer exists 3 years 6 months from the last date of purchase, or less than 5 years from it's INTRODUCTION and first sale.

IMO, 5 years from introduction to loss of support is awfully quick, even for the IT industry, but the consumer side of this seems to be moving along too fast for it's own good.

I design products for an active lifecycle of 5-7 years and support for at least 10 years beyond that. In my side of the industry, I don't think most customers would be accepting of buying an amp that has a start to finish lifecycle/support of 5 years. Anybody care to comment on this?

• Members

Apple has been keeping the support cycle short on all their products for a long time. Many other tablet vendors are worse. The usual state of the industry is that you get one, maybe two updates, and then you're abandoned. Part of the problem is that we are solving screen and power problems very quickly on the engineering side. Part of the problem is that consumers don't consider support lifetime when buying things, but Apple et al do. Dropping support 3 years after purchase lowers their cost, and reinvigorates sales. I wouldn't have bought an iPad Air when I did if I hadn't accidentally put iOS 6 on my iPad 1.

I knew the writing was on the wall with Mac a few years ago when they dropped the X-serve line. It's almost like you're renting the hardware now, it seems.

• Members

Back on topic - I installed MF 3.0 and used it for the first time yesterday. Its a major update and will make the DL range more powerful and more complex.

I think the new release is brilliant with many additions including subgroups, VCAs and much improved navigation.

I do wonder if the relevant complexity of the new release will alienate some users - I think the weekend warrior may struggle a bit with this. Pro and semi-pro users will love it!

Cheers

• Members

Renting hardware... an interesting concept. Not unlike the new software experience these days.

I think all of this is on topic. The update of my iOS also rendered my i-device unstable enough that I had to upgrade hardware. Interestingly, they no longer supported the previously functional iOS so I was kind of screwed... maybe by design? Interesting way to drive new hardware sales for sure.

• Members

When I bought the DL1608 mixer, Master Fader was on version 1.2. Now two significant software upgrades have given me functions that I never expected by can use. It's just like the difference between Windows 3.1 and Windows 95. Felt like I got a brand new computer. (Except it wasn't free and these updates have been.)

• Members

The near impossibility of going back to a previous ios version bugs a lot of ipad owners. As a stock holder, it seems stupid to me. (And I hate it when Apple does stupid stuff. Doesn't happen too often, but it does happen.) If an ios upgrade goes haywire, you can generally wipe the device and attempt a re-install. Going back only works within a very short window after a major upgrade is made available. Apple at least makes it so the device can't upgrade to an OS that won't run on it.

• CMS Author
If an ios upgrade goes haywire, you can generally wipe the device and attempt a re-install.

"attempt" being the ruling term here. If you've ever wiped a device and then attempted to restore it to where it was before all hell broke loose, you certainly don't support that support model. And it certainly degrades the user experience of a $500 device that's supposedly the state of the art.

• Members

Sorry Craig, but any device that cost $500 isn't likely to be state of the art in any product. (Not in my mind.) Would you even consider a brand new mixing board from Midas if it only cost $500? And I've never seen a tablet that I would consider state of the art. Maybe the state of the tablet is too close to its inception and needs to grow before we start getting great products. You guys have given me some thought and since my ipads are currently not critical for anything, I might try restoring to a previous version. (Gotten very careful about not overwriting backups before an upgrade. Now is a good time to test.) It probably will fail, but the experience will be educational.

• CMS Author

Sorry Craig' date=' but any device that cost $500 isn't likely to be state of the art in any product. (Not in my mind.) Would you even consider a brand new mixing board from Midas if it only cost $500? And I've never seen a tablet that I would consider state of the art. Maybe the state of the tablet is too close to its inception and needs to grow before we start getting great products. You guys have given me some thought and since my ipads are currently not critical for anything, I might try restoring to a previous version. (Gotten very careful about not overwriting backups before an upgrade. Now is a good time to test.) It probably will fail, but the experience will be educational.[/quote']

I could have quoted the $829 that an iPad Air 2 128GB with cellular goes for, but I thought I'd be conservative and state what the last gen model with less memory was selling for, as that's the model that's currently slated for obsolescence next.

You've completely lost me regarding how a specific price, in this case $500, is somehow a determining factor in the state of the art for anything. Regarding tablets, what's the state of the art, if not the iPad?

• Members

You've never seen a state of the art tablet, WynnD? Really? An Apple shareholder never saw the iPad when it was released?

iPad was so far ahead of the competition that Apple had to front the money for the manufacturer to build the factory to produce those screens; then they got 100% of the output of said factory for two years. They also bought something like 60% of the world's supply of large DRAMs that year.

Archived