Difficulties with the new forum format.

• Members

Is it just me?

Working from an iPad I cannot get any spacing between paragraphs.

And on an iPad or on my Mac, if I try to insert a sentence between sentences I've already typed I get about 10 characters and then it jumps out of the line and goes somewhere else.

• Members
Is it just me? Working from an iPad I cannot get any spacing between paragraphs. And on an iPad or on my Mac' date=' if I try to insert a sentence between sentences I've already typed I get about 10 characters and then it jumps out of the line and goes somewhere else.[/quote'] Let me try a reply from my iPad 3 at IOS 8.1. To see if paragraph breaks work for me. Otherwise, so far, editing seems normal for me.

• Members

I've reported this repeatedly for months now to no avail. Can't space between paragraphs on either my iPad2 or iPhone. Both the iPhone 4 and 6. And with the various iOSs that have been in use during that time.I was told that others weren't having this problem, but obviously many of us are. What you CAN do is enter HTML code for paragraph and break. I enter

and

between paragraphs and it works.On the improvement side of things, I wasn't able to quote on iPad or iPhone but that started working properly a few weeks ago. But still can't edit my own posts.Seriously, this is really basic stuff that any forum that wants to be usable needs to be able to do. And it's been MONTHS now.

• Members
I've had the jumping to the end of the last paragraph issues on Win7 64-bit using Chrome and on Android usig Dolphin browser for some time now.

Me too using IE and Chrome.

Work around is to hit return to start new paragraph and then you can edit everything before as normally.

• Members

Yes to all of those. I just no longer edit. I use a blank space graphic to put spaces between paragraphs. It's also completely dog ass slow. I'm thinking it must be some sort of gauntlet. It's like they are actively trying to kill the forums. They've almost succeeded

• Members

Yep. None of it (especially each issue taken individually) is the end of the world, but it IS pretty much the end of the forum. The only people left are those of us who are so dog-headedly addicted to this place that we'll put up with whatever garbage is thrown at us. Sometimes I feel like the guy who should have left the girl who mistreats him badly years ago.

• Members
Yes to all of those. I just no longer edit. I use a blank space graphic to put spaces between paragraphs. It's also completely dog ass slow. I'm thinking it must be some sort of gauntlet. It's like they are actively trying to kill the forums. They've almost succeeded

Please explain "dog ass slow". What OS are you using and what browser.

This type of information will help us.

Believe it or not, we have had members complain it is slow to find out they are on IE 6.0 using a dial up connection. Harmony Central contains millions and millions of bits of data and it can be slow, but a page load should not exceed two or three seconds.

D

• Members
Yep. None of it (especially each issue taken individually) is the end of the world' date=' but it IS pretty much the end of the forum. The only people left are those of us who are so dog-headedly addicted to this place that we'll put up with whatever garbage is thrown at us. Sometimes I feel like the guy who should have left the girl who mistreats him badly years ago. [/quote']

Your contribution and feedback is always valued Guido61. But since you have been with us so long, there is no way you can overlook that we have made miraculous strides in the last 8 months.

Statistics show that the typical guy that is mistreated by his girl, is the guy who talks badly about his girl! (I jest of course!)

Keep the feedback coming. We are working on it.

• Members
Please explain "dog ass slow". What OS are you using and what browser. This type of information will help us. Believe it or not' date=' we have had members complain it is slow to find out they are on IE 6.0 using a dial up connection. Harmony Central contains millions and millions of bits of data and it can be slow, but a page load should not exceed two or three seconds. D[/quote'] I'm on an iPhone 5. 3G service. All other sites load quickly. I just pressed "quote" and it took 24 seconds before I was able to type anything. I'll go try on another web site,.. BRB did it on another page featuring gear, and it took 2 seconds. I'll see how long it takes this reply to post.

• Members

5 seconds to post. That's pretty good I'll go check my post in the lighting section: I'll open the link in another tab. 5 seconds to load the page. Now switching to the lighting area: about 10 seconds, and he same the load the actual post. That's pretty quick for the site. Often I just close the window and give up.

• Members

Dendy, I think a big part of the challenge is that maybe TOO much data is needed for each page load in order to support the feature set that's been promised. A more simplified approach almost always hass higher odds of a better execution and user experience (unless the user really needs all the "pretty eye candy".

So, add "too much data" with a forum or site structure that does not handle data well, or quickly, or accurately, you add in some sub-optimal access methods and browsers, and you have what we have here.

• Members

We roll a new code (version) tomorrow night (Friday, Nov. 21st) and the development team (Nucleus Creative) believe that it may fix the slow load times. The amount of data in this 15 year old community is so massive, that parsing all that data is causing some of these slow loads. We have (fingers crossed) determined a way to cache some of the data to speed up these loads. We'll know by the weekend if all goes as planned.

Thanks for hanging tough ...

D

• Members

According to Alexa.com; HC falls in the "very slow" category, 86% of sites are faster.

There was a fix in 5.1.3 (don't know what version HC is running on now)

on my system, which can be considered ancient (Win7/IE9), it still runs pretty fast

but if I empty my cache and clean up my browser history, it's notably slower

MacRumors.com (about 1million members, 20million posts in 1.7 million threads) is preparing to migrate their forums. M

Still running on vB3 but decided to go with Xenforo.

Why? vBulletin is on its last legs and has no future.

• Members

Dendy, how about making it remember what threads I've read on an account-by-account basis? It seems to work on a computer-by-computer basis right now, which is annoying as heck when you have a phone, an iPad, an office, a bedroom...

Wes

Archived