compression driver issue

• Members

I've been trying to diagnose my latest RCF 522A problem. The highs on one box just aren't as strong as the other and (I think) don't sound as good. It's hard to tell when the balance isn't there between the woofer and compression driver. I figured it was yet another bad amp as all the past issues were with the highs amp. It doesn't appear that's the issue though as I swapped amps between the box that sounds good and the one with the issues and the issues remain in the same box.

Before I remove the compression driver I thought I'd ask if, when diaphragms have problems does it always lead to total failure or can it still sort of work? I seems like there may be a bit of distortion at higher volumes, but I really can't tell if I'm just making that up because that's what I want to hear. Should i just pull the driver out, open it up and take a look? If it's not the diaphragm is there anything else that can be evaluated by sight alone?

Oh, and I did run pink noise through and the resulting chart shows they are pretty much the same, but it's just not the case. I also swept with sine wave and couldn't really tell anything there either. When playing music you can definitely tell the difference. I used Dave Matthews #41, which starts with, what is essentially a high hat solo. In the good speaker you can hear all the nuance of the stick hitting the cymbal and just a crisp edge to everything. The other just sounds lifeless. The vocals too just don't have as much edge in the speaker that's acting up.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've been trying to diagnose my latest RCF 522A problem. The highs on one box just aren't as strong as the other and (I think) don't sound as good. It's hard to tell when the balance isn't there between the woofer and compression driver. I figured it was yet another bad amp as all the past issues were with the highs amp. It doesn't appear that's the issue though as I swapped amps between the box that sounds good and the one with the issues and the issues remain in the same box.

Before I remove the compression driver I thought I'd ask if, when diaphragms have problems does it always lead to total failure or can it still sort of work? I seems like there may be a bit of distortion at higher volumes, but I really can't tell if I'm just making that up because that's what I want to hear. Should i just pull the driver out, open it up and take a look? If it's not the diaphragm is there anything else that can be evaluated by sight alone?

Oh, and I did run pink noise through and the resulting chart shows they are pretty much the same, but it's just not the case. I also swept with sine wave and couldn't really tell anything there either. When playing music you can definitely tell the difference. I used Dave Matthews #41, which starts with, what is essentially a high hat solo. In the good speaker you can hear all the nuance of the stick hitting the cymbal and just a crisp edge to everything. The other just sounds lifeless. The vocals too just don't have as much edge in the speaker that's acting up.

Meter both diaphragms with an Ohm meter to see if there is a noticeable difference.

• Members

Measuring the resistance might tell you something but if the cause is something foreign stuck down inside it won't tell you anything. The most common cause of something like this in my experience is from liquid getting down in the driver in which case you'll have to open the drivers to fix it. But it may not be the driver at all. You could have some shift in the crossover. You could flip the drivers to the other boxes and see if the problem stays with the box or with the driver.

• Members

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I mentioned in the original post that I've already flipped the amps, which is much easier than flipping the drivers since you have to take the amps out to get to the drivers. That's how I'm certain it's the compression driver and not the amp/crossover.

I'll take a look this evening.

• Members
I'm confused. Doesn't a 522a have builtin amps and processing?

Yes it does. I've taken the amps and swapped them between the boxes, which is a heck of a lot more simple than swapping the drivers. The thing is the same box (same compression driver) has the issue regardless of the amp module I'm using. So it's not the amp/DSP/crossover. It's something about the physical driver itself.

• Members
I'd guess debris in the VC or even a shifted magnet. Without looking there is no way to say. Open up and look' date=' remember to mark what wires go where to keep polarity correct.[/quote']

I'm more worried about the shifted magnet. One of the cabinets too a fall in the trailer some time ago. Debris would be difficult to get in as the horn mouth is covered with a thick screen, pretty much a grill really. Not that it couldn't happen but it's unlikely.

• Members

Well, the resistance is 5.1 ohms for each. As for removing the compression driver, tat's not happening today. There's no practical way to do it without splitting the box. The problem with that is it's an extremely deep set, yet small headed, phillips screw. That's not a screwdriver I have.... yet anyway.

• Members

Yes it does. I've taken the amps and swapped them between the boxes, which is a heck of a lot more simple than swapping the drivers.

Wow, that seems like a lot of work so I was guessing something else happened.

Ok, what I'd try next would be to run a sweep tone through both boxes and see if you can locate where it's the same and where it's different. But I think either way you'l eventually have to come back to pulling the drivers and getting physical exam. It is possible that somehow the diaphragm has somehow loosened up and is not bolted down with even tension. Other than that you are looking at dust, liquid or a magnet shift. Magnet shift would be the only thing covered by a standard warranty.

• Members

Wow, that seems like a lot of work so I was guessing something else happened.

Ok, what I'd try next would be to run a sweep tone through both boxes and see if you can locate where it's the same and where it's different. But I think either way you'l eventually have to come back to pulling the drivers and getting physical exam. It is possible that somehow the diaphragm has somehow loosened up and is not bolted down with even tension. Other than that you are looking at dust, liquid or a magnet shift. Magnet shift would be the only thing covered by a standard warranty.

Thanks Don. I've done the pink and sine wave tests with both speakers on as well as just the compression driver. I even switched polarity on the compression driver to rule out that it was mislabeled. Unfortunately the warranty on these guys is long gone. They've been problematic though since I bought them. This isn't the usual defective amplifier issue like the other problems though.

I'll pull the driver in the next few days. I just need to get a long phillips screwdriver.

• Members

I just need to get a long phillips screwdriver.

I'll offer than a bone-fide justification to add a tool to one's toolbox is "turning out to be a pretty good day".

A few weeks ago I capitalized on my justification to upgrade tool boxes... because the tool collection had outgrown the existing tool boxes. :D

• Members
You might want to read this before you go in that driver and attempt to pull the diaphragm.

A diaphragm not centered in the gap can give issues similar to what you are experiencing.

Not sayin...just sayin

http://www.gitarren-forum.de/threads/686138-diaphragm-nd651-nd650-8ohm-for-rcf-art-522a-525a-725a

Thanks. Now what does it mean exactly? Does RCF have to do it? Any speaker repair shop?

• Members

I'll offer than a bone-fide justification to add a tool to one's toolbox is "turning out to be a pretty good day".

A few weeks ago I capitalized on my justification to upgrade tool boxes... because the tool collection had outgrown the existing tool boxes. :D

Sure. I'm not unhappy about an $8 screwdriver.

• Members

Ever have a metal phillips screwdriver get sucked into a brand new JBL 2441 diaphragm on to the pole piece of the compression driver in the field before a show?

Happened to me back in 1983..bad day

:D

I have never opened up that compression driver model.

I have experienced a diaphragm not exactly centered in the gap.

Seems to me most of the new stuff is self centered in a machined step on the compression driver these days.

Is it possible the guass of magnet is weak? Did that driver get dropped on concrete in the factory?

I think Don mentioned shifting.

Last of all...did you buy these used or new?

If they are used do you know the history?

• Members
Ever have a metal phillips screwdriver get sucked into a brand new JBL 2441 diaphragm on to the pole piece of the compression driver in the field before a show?

Happened to me back in 1983..bad day

:D

I have never opened up that compression driver model.

I have experienced a diaphragm not exactly centered in the gap.

Seems to me most of the new stuff is self centered in a machined step on the compression driver these days.

Is it possible the guass of magnet is weak? Did that driver get dropped on concrete in the factory?

I think Don mentioned shifting.

Last of all...did you buy these used or new?

If they are used do you know the history?

Bought new in 2008. Their history has been well documented on this forum over the years. I'm on amp 5 I think as far as replacements go due to a design / manufacturing flaw in the original release of the cabinets. Then a series of gaffs from RCF, including shipping me amps that they knew were defective. That's a long story.

The compression driver is recent. One of the cabs has fallen in the trailer in the past, but it seemed OK. Maybe not though.

• Members

Cracked the box and pulled the driver. Opened it up and it looks fine. Folded over a post it note to clean out the the gap and did get some dirt out. Took another post it and ran it around the inside and outside of the diaphragm. Here's what it looks like apart. Not really sure what else to do but put the cabinet back together. That should be a blast. It was a bit difficult getting it apart.

fetch?id=31319744

fetch?id=31319745

Archived