Bose B2 sub with a regular PA system ? ?

• Members

Instead of buying the whole Bose L1 system, is it possible to buy just the B2 sub (about $500) and connect it to my current PA system. Running 2 JBL 615's on a stick - no sub. Would love to have something that small and lightweight to add some bottom. If not, any other small subs out there similar to that size with good bottom? We carry all out stuff in cars, and no room for a 100 lb sub.

Thx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Bose sub is tailored sonically for use with their loudspeaker system.

You will not get it right using the Bose sub.

Spend another hundred and get the JBL EON 518 sub that is tailored for use with your loudspeakers.

Use the internal xover in the EON sub and plug your 615's in with it.

I am assuming your tops are EONs correct?

The EON sub is 65lbs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EON518S?adpos=1o1&creative=55686218521&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CNrX8v6E8cECFYVAaQodMHwASA

• Members

No, they aren't EONs. I looked at the sub you mentioned and just too big. We carry all our stuff in cars.

I'm considering the whole L1 Model II B2 system, but I keep hearing good & bad things so I just don't know what I want to do. We're just a 3 piece rock band - guitar, bass, drums - 3 vocals, 3 mics on drums, 1 guitar amp mic, bass runs direct. I'm thinking one Bose system would do it for sportsbars, clubs, restaurants . . . At $2,500 I can't' buy two. Trying to lighten my load. Thanks !

• Members

Personally I wouldn't buy Bose - the concept with the Bose system is that everyone in the band has their own system (ideally) - cost that out and you could buy a lot of system and a truck. I've heard these systems used by a jazz trio each with their own system and they sounded really good. I also heard one stick system used by a top 40 duo .. and not so good ... actually sounded pretty crappy ... They fill a room but had no thump. I recently attended a wedding and the dj used the bose for the ceremony but when it came to dancing he brought a couple of JBL's because the bose wouldn't cut it. If I am correct you have the JBL PRX 615 - 15 and a horn in each ... I understand size constraints as I suffer from the same problem. I use 2 x 612's and 2 x 715' subs- not sure one would do it but they only weigh 50#. Maybe get smaller tops to allow to fit the subs.

• Members

Yep, have 2 JBL 615's that have good low end, and people tell me they sound very good. I guess I'm doing wishful thinking that the Bose B2 would hook up with my system, but I see now why it won't. Sure would be nice to roll in with a tower, stand & sub and set up in 10 minutes.

• Members
Yep' date=' have 2 JBL 615's that have good low end, and people tell me they sound very good. I guess I'm doing wishful thinking that the Bose B2 would hook up with my system, but I see now why it won't. Sure would be nice to roll in with a tower, stand & sub and set up in 10 minutes. [/quote']

Setting up with a powered JBL sub would be nearly as quick and WAY more effective. Good luck.

• Members

Finally - a new Bose thread. I have missed these :)

First of all, going from JBL 615's to one or even two Bose towers would be a step down IMHO. This is based on having used two towers and subs in a solo many times (worked okay) and having used, and heard the Bose systems with bands - barely worked. As mentioned, for the price of one or two towers and sub, you can find a convential system that will beat the Bose - sound wise anyway.

I suspect that the B2 just won't cut it, or rather, won't add enough thump to make it worth your while. I know that Yorkville makes some smaller subs (I have two 720P's) and there are certainly other manufacturers making smaller subs than the typical 18".

Is pack size the only factor, or is it weight as well?

• Members

Course, a good thumping low end is most important, but size is a big factor. I had an 18" Samson sub one time and had to carry it in back seat of my Camry, and there was no room to spare just getting it thru the door. I don't want anything that big or heavy again. That's why I was hoping the B2 sub would suffice, but from what you guys are saying it really won't add that much. Even inside sports bars & such ? Waste of money ?

Thx for all the input.

• Members

And, I've been told my 615's are better than the Bose L1 system. I just don't understand why some people rave over the Bose system, how great they sound, how easy they are to set up, and then some people say they can't compete with the ole pa on a stick. Drummer is always trying to get that good bass drum thump in his ears, and bass player like the low end. btw, we use in-ear monitors. I was thinking if I had the whole Bose system would not need those anymore. Oh well.

• CMS Author

Consider an E-V ELX118P. 70lb.

BTW, the B2 *bass module* (it's not a subwoofer) isn't powered. You need an L system which has built in amps, or a separate power amp and crossover.

I like the Bose systems, they work well within their range. The weak link has always been the bass modules, which don't have much oomph.

• CMS Author
And' date=' I've been told my 615's are better than the Bose L1 system. I just don't understand why some people rave over the Bose system, how great they sound, how easy they are to set up, and then some people say they can't compete with the ole pa on a stick. Drummer is always trying to get that good bass drum thump in his ears, and bass player like the low end. btw, we use in-ear monitors. I was thinking if I had the whole Bose system would not need those anymore. Oh well.[/quote']

It's a very portable system, comes complete with carry bags, all the cables, etc. It's "self monitoring" and that aspect does work...you have to try to get feedback. When considering a Bose system vs conventional, you really need to consider the need to add wedge monitors to the conventional system cost and size.

The clarity and definition for vocals and guitar are outstanding IMO. But as I mentioned, the compromise is that bass frequencies need big drivers, and the bass modules, while pretty good, are never going to thump a room. There's a weird phenomenon I heard about and experienced...there sounds like there's a "hole" in the low midrange zone around 150Hz. I heard it, and I spent a lot of time trying to find it, but oddly enough an SPL meter can't hear it when using test tones...they all show the same relative levels. But it feels like something's missing, and that frequency range is covered by the bass module (the towers poop out around 400Hz IIRC). Oh and that's another possible issue...if you use the Bose system you can of course add your own subs. If so, make sure they can handle up to about 500Hz well, otherwise you *will* have a response hole.

• Members
That Peavey sub is lighter but has about the same performance as the E-V. Worth a listen for sure.

I'm skeptical regarding the E-V (or any 12" or 15" sub)'s ability to add much thump when used solo.

I have a zxa1 and a zlx15p in my basement for rehearsals. I haven't taken them out live but I would say that the zxa1 sub is as musical as the yorkville ls720's one of my bandmates has. Just not as much output. There is no comparison with the zlx15p on its own without the sub. Its ok with recorded music on its own but as soon as you highpass it and turn the sub on............... Anyway, if your looking for thump in the chest lows the zxa1 isn't the thing. But it fills out the low end very well and gives kick drum a little thump. Lady Gaga boom no but a nice filled out sound yes.

• CMS Author

Just don't have room for two.

I understand completely. You'll have to adjust your expectations accordingly, though. These small subs will fill out the sound...you will absolutely *hear* the low end, but depending on room size you're not likely to *feel* it. If that's okay, then you may want to still consider the Bose system as an option. But definitely try before you buy, as it's not for everyone. In your case, needing a super-compact system, it may be just the ticket.

Archived