4x EV ZXA1 vs 2x EV ELX 118p or FBT Promaxx 15SA?

• Members

Hi,

I'm considering changing my subs for a lighter alternative following a physio appointment for my back today. Originally I was hoping to get a pair of JBL PRX718XLF subs but following my appointment today I was told I really shouldn't be carrying anything heavier than 30kg max due to problems I've been having with my back and shoulders!

This has led me to consider a few different alternatives for future gigs. My only options that I can find are the FBT Promaxx 15SA's or four smaller subs like the EV ZXA1's?

Firstly has anyone tried both the EV ELX118p's AND the FBT Promaxx 15SA's? Secondly, what are your thoughts on changing to something like 4x the EV ZXA1's from a single pair of ELX118p's? I've considered adding wheels to my ELX118p's but due to living in a pretty rural part of the country I will still need to carry the ELX118p's for some gigs.

Thanks

• Members

I actually own the PRX718XLFs as well but use my FBT Vertus setup for smaller shows or when we have to be in and out in a hurry. Take a look at the FBT subs - CLA208Sa . 44 lbs & 129 dB, very well built, 2 eq settings and 2 crossover settings (for setting options total) with filtered outputs to the tops. Surprising output and frequency response for their size and weight. I compared them to RCF 705-AS and Yorkville ES700P subs and at half the size and weight they were comparable one for one.

If interested, I'm toying with selling one of my Vertus sets (I have 2 tops and 2 subs). I just don't really ever use both sets together.

• Members

Thanks. Yes I've been interested in those sub's for a smaller setup. They have a max spl of 129db and weigh only 20KG! That would be awesome to only need to carry that weight around for subs! At that size I could possibly add more over time to have 4x CLA208SA's. I'd be very interested to know how that would compare to 2x EV ELX118p's!?

• Members

I've got a pair of the ZXA1 subs. Nice speakers and right at what I need. I did see that Yorkville sound made some 10" subs that out perform the EVs. (Don't know their weight.) the ZXA1 subs are measured at 127 db max. They do stack nicely and they would cluster just fine. (Possibly lower than many floor monitors.) If you stacked them and put a pole in the top, I would be careful about how much weight you put that high up. Really depends upon how much sub you need.

• Members
Some questions -

Where are you located?

What tops are you using?

What genre do you play or are you a sound provider doing multiple things?

I'm located in the UK. My tops are Yamaha DXR15's at the moment and I provide sound for soul, funk, rock and jazz gigs.

• Members

I hadn't considered the 715XLF's because their quoted max spl is lower than the FBT by 5db. However, real world performance could be very different! There are no dealers that stock the FBT Promaxx 14SA that I can demo within 400 miles which practically rules out hearing it before buying one! Even then these dealers don't stock the JBL PRX715XLF and EV ELX118P so it is becoming extremely frustrating to know what them best solution would be!

• Members

I have the ELX 118 p. It is a musical sub and it's accurate, it bumps, but it's not the holy grail you are seeking for uber SPL's.

JBL XLF 7XX series are quite robust those are same drivers as JBL higher end VRX series stuff from what I've been researching. Whether they have the robust uber SPL's you seek, others will comment.

• Members
I have the ELX 118 p. It is a musical sub and it's accurate, it bumps, but it's not the holy grail you are seeking for uber SPL's.

Yes I think the ELX118p is actually a very nice musical sounding sub and offers excellent value for money. I haven't come across a sub under £1000 that beats the ELX118p in terms of output, tone and light weight. I'm a little nervous that going from a ported sub like the ELX118p to a band pass design like the FBT Promaxx 15SA I might end up sacrificing on tone?

• Members

I really can't answer your question as I have not used the FBT and don't have the tech knowledge regading pros cons of a band pass vs ported. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) the band passes tend to be limited on their response and hit a certain frequency area well but not all overall frequencies like a ported design. However I think you should really look at what Abzurd is telling you in the posts above as he has done very long extensive posts (I'm pretty sure it was him?) on the FBT gear on past posts, very good reads.

Archived