Triton Fethead preamp

• Members

I purchased one of these Fethead preamps yesterday after reading lots of good reviews on it

The preamp is amazing, I could nt believe the difference it made to my mic. I got the phantom version so I can use with my condenser mics.

My Shure 87a sounds much more full. You still get the pure mic quality with no added noise. Even with dynamics my Beta 58a sounds much fuller and open..

All you do is attach it to your mic cable, I use mine plugged into my AER compact 60 amp. Sounds amazing. I can hear myself crystal clear when I sing, Its a real joy to use

I would derfinatly recomend them

Dave

• Members

Since Fathead makes a lot of ribbon mics, this makes sense especially for THEIR mics. Ribbons are notorious for being low output and impedance sensitive. I guess with any mic, if you send a hotter signal (say 50db hotter) down that twisted pair it is going to improve your signal to noise ratio (by having to amplify less of the induced noise in the cable). In a studio this could make sense. I'm not sure it's all that huge of a gain in a SR environment. This is all providing the preamp is well designed. Question - Does it have a pad? Is it constantly variable? I guess if you know the original sensitivity of the mic and the set amount of gain (in the Fathead preamp) you can PFL it to figure out if it's gain staged correctly. If the artist plays harder and overloads it. I would think it not too convenient to pop up on stage to pad it back mid performance (of course this is true with condensers with a pad on them as well). Just pointing out the advantages and disadvantages of it.

For a ribbon mic - absolutely!

Archived