Bass guitar

• Members

I am just wondering if you do sound in a room that can fit 500 to 600 people, do you guys put the bass guitar on the subwoofer only or just go straight from the amp? AFAIK, when I do my sound, I always put the bass guitar on the subwoofer and main, the bass amp is only for the bassist monitor. So I can control how loud the bass from the bass guitar will be in the mix rather than let the bassist blast his bass amp for his own monitoring purpose. So, how do you guys usually do with bass and guitar amps?

• Members

Yes, I did say I put the bass on the main and sub.

But, I come across a soundman who insist that the sound from the bass amp is better than the sub and main combo, and it should be plenty loud on the amp side, which I don't really agree to it because I can't control the bass sound from my mixer. Same thing with guitar amp. Is this the right approach (I've been taught this way) and how do I argue with this soundman about his approach?

Also, his mixing style is weird. He basically open the gain about 1/2 to 3/4 in each channel and put the fader in -20db down. So basically, he put high gain and low in fader which make 90% of the channel overload. I tried to argue but he said this is how live mix is. I was speechless and cry from all the feedback from the mics on the event.

• Members

You're dealing with someone who doesn't know much about anything, and you're not in a position to educate him either. Tough situation all around, the solution is education on the techs part but sounds like he thinks all is going just fine as is. Sorry man, get better gigs with better sound techs,

• CMS Author

...a soundman who insist that the sound from the bass amp is better than the sub and main combo,...

If the bass amp is mic'd/DI'd, the system is reproducing what the amp is doing...the sound should be more than close enough to identical.

Sorry you have to put up with someone who knows zilch about his job.

• Members
Yes, I did say I put the bass on the main and sub.

But, I come across a soundman who insist that the sound from the bass amp is better than the sub and main combo, and it should be plenty loud on the amp side, which I don't really agree to it because I can't control the bass sound from my mixer. Same thing with guitar amp. Is this the right approach (I've been taught this way) and how do I argue with this soundman about his approach?

Also, his mixing style is weird. He basically open the gain about 1/2 to 3/4 in each channel and put the fader in -20db down. So basically, he put high gain and low in fader which make 90% of the channel overload. I tried to argue but he said this is how live mix is. I was speechless and cry from all the feedback from the mics on the event.

Your sound guy is an idiot.

• Members

The problem is I am also a soundman. I did my mix and when I was away, he changed my configuration and all I saw is 90% of my channel is overloaded. I was using tascam dm-24 at that time. I heard cracking noise from the kick because the gain is in the 3 o'clock position. The stage volume is crazy loud also. I tried to argue and he said live mix is different. Because it is a church retreat so I don't really want to worsen it more. So I just quietly changed everything back and move on. It's very frustating. And now, I have to work with him again. :(

• Members
As others have suggested' date=' the bass should be handled just as you would other instruments. That being said, often the bass amp is so loud I don't even have it up in the mix.[/quote'] Yeah it happened to me too. With my fader all the way down, it was still too loud. Same thing with guitar amp, sometimes it is so loud i don't even put it in my mix.

• Members

It's a shame when people are overbearing with their bad ideas. I had a similar situation with a "house" guy. I tried to talk to him but there was no getting through. Eventually, the band talked to the manager about it (they were ready to walk) and he let me do my job. Afterward, the guy came up to me and said "Well, we do things a bit different but it sounded pretty good."

I guess that's the difference between a soundguy and an engineer.

• Members
As others have suggested' date=' the bass should be handled just as you would other instruments. That being said, often the bass amp is so loud I don't even have it up in the mix.[/quote']

Anybody who thinks bass guitar only resides in the 120-100hz is not a soundman. Bass has overtones that stretch above that give it clarity and definition. JMHO

• Members

In a large room as described, you're going to want to have bass in both mains and subs - the amount will just depend. I do find however, that in a small room (or sometimes outdoors) if the bass amp is carrying most of the volume, definition and articulation, then aux feeding the bass and using the subs to round out the sound can work okay. This is a far cry from what the "three o'clock trim tech" was suggesting.

Archived