KV2 Audio KX1.5 EV ELX118p or JBL PRX718XLF?

• Members

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the KX Audio 1.5 subs and the EV ELX118p subs? I own a pair of the ELX118p's, regularly use the KX1.2 subs and have had a fair amount of experience with the EX1.2 and EX2.2 subs. The KX1.2 puts out some serious sound for a 12" sub though I found it didn't quite keep up with my EV ELX118p's. They went as deep but started to distort at higher spls, whereas the EV's still sounded clean with headroom to go. The EX 1.2 is similarly impressive and the EX2.2 sounds superb.

I've read the Performing Musician Mag review of the KX1.5's and that seems very favourable indeed but that was 5 years ago.

I'm quite interested in the KX1.5 as it uses a bigger driver in a bigger cabinet with higher SPL ratings etc. Would be keen to hear from anyone who has heard it next to the EV ELX118p. Also if anyone has heard it next to the JBL PRX718 XLF?

Thanks

• Members

Yes. To be honest I'm pretty settled on the JBL PRX718XLF's but I've got a LOT of saving to do with having a one year old and another on the way ;) However, the KX 1.5 is a sub I hadn't considered and one has popped up secondhand at a very cheap price (half the price of a PRX718XLF). Unfortunately it is a few hundred miles away so I can't get to listen to it first!

I know KV2 Audio makes excellent stuff and I have used the EX 10's, EX12's, EX1.2's and EX2.2's along with their budget KX12 and KX1.2 speakers. Their budget KX1.2 12" sub amazingly puts out similar depth as my EV ELX118p's and goes very loud (for a 12" sub) but distorts at higher SPL's whereas the EV's still remain clean. However, the bigger driver and cabinet with the KX1.5 may be able to stay cleaner and possibly go louder than the EV's? If this is the case then I would obviously like to save my money and get the cheaper option.

Archived