Who's next on the tablet only bandwagon?

• Members

Presonus has cash for R&D, behringer too, mackie pulled the dl series out of thin air it seems. Even SM Audio has a line of digital consoles too. Presonus and Behringer already have remote apps too so it's a matter of hardware. So what about the big guys? Yamaha, soundcraft, A&H, (crest?). They all have the R&D, distribution, trust of consumer, dedicated apps. And if they are developing no one is saying a word. ??

• Members

At least someone thought about using android platform, I still don't get it why everyone else just think to use only and exclusively an iPad and ios; some time ago some members told me that the use for the iPad was because the hardware wich were made of and that had the advantage in the ios thing, but things have change a lot, we've seen very good android tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Tab S, Tab Pro, LG G Pad, and the screen now are more like the iPad and in some ways better, in sizes and colors, even the cheapest android tablets work (of course having the latest android os), and at to this point I really don't get why some brands insists to use the iPad or ios... Let's see who else could think that opening to other os may them a good direction to point the market and sell there product, but for me behringer has the key

• Members

I will by a tablet mixer soon, I'm getting a lot more comfortable with it. I've downloaded a number of apps, behringer xr demo, x32, yamaha ls9, mackie DL. Presonus doesn't have an app available yet. I'm struck by how similar all of them are. the x32 is really involved though, there's a lot of routing options and deep editing. I like the effects unit interface as well. So far I can get comfortable enough with it in the short time I've been playing with it. Ready to spend money soon, but really want to hear from yamaha if they have anything. When they build something right they build it right.

• Members

As much as I hate to see it, it appears this new behringer xr12 has finally brought digital into the realm of possibility. I had considered mackie's board, but after all the reads on here just thought it was ready as a solution, glad I waited. The Mackie FX12 and my ZED12FX will probably be used for personal use. Although I suspect I'll r and d about 6 months before going live with it, the idea of depending on a computer even more to run a show kinda freaks me out. At least I know with the analog mixers it's a sure fire and I have a backup. with this "digital" solution the analog will be the backup.

I do enjoy removing rack space, at least 2 small ones (outboard comp that's probably worth $2 now (dbx 266) and my eq which is proabably worth $1. Not only swapping out rack spaces no mixer to look at it, now if I can get used to a touch screen.......

My thought and theory is that I can mix both DJ app and mixer software on the same platform (PC) and then have a tablet to roam wirelessly and fine tune mix (if needed)

• Members

There's a size where there isn't much benefit to digital (I think, maybe I'm wrong). If all you need is a mic and a couple stereo inputs then a cheap Behringer 502 will work great (I have 3 in use). For small, they don't need anything else to operate, they will run for years. Under about 8 mono channels what's the point of digital? But that's just me, maybe I'll change my mind soon.

• Members

What's the point of digital?

Imagine for a moment you're in a small band in a small venue (80 to 100 people). You have a drummer that does the "two mic" setup (overhead and kick), two singers, a bass player, a piano player and two guitars.

If you buy a $300 Behringer XR12, you can plug all your crap in, and wander to the back of the bar to tweak your mix from an iPad in the room, rather than from the stage.

Sure, you could do it from a snake. But the price of the snake box and the DIs will easily exceed the cost of the XR12. And they are unsightly.

Wes

• Members
What's the point of digital?

Imagine for a moment you're in a small band in a small venue (80 to 100 people). You have a drummer that does the "two mic" setup (overhead and kick), two singers, a bass player, a piano player and two guitars.

If you buy a $300 Behringer XR12, you can plug all your crap in, and wander to the back of the bar to tweak your mix from an iPad in the room, rather than from the stage.

Sure, you could do it from a snake. But the price of the snake box and the DIs will easily exceed the cost of the XR12. And they are unsightly.

Wes

Hey Wes,

Imagine you normally mix your band on an X32 Rack with 4 IEM mixes, vDrums into 5 DI channels, 3 vocal mics, one guitar mic, and a stereo pair input for a Kemper Rack.

With the XR 12 the only thing you would lose would be the 4 IEM mixes. Everyone would have to settle for the same stereo mix for the night ;)

Imagine that you are doing a duo with 2 guitars and 2 vocal microphones and want to play DJ music later in the night.

Imagine that you want to host a Karaoke bar and give recordings out on USB sticks for additional money.

Imagine that you want to carry your mixer in your wife's purse ;)

I love my ZED 10Fx, but a single sweepable mid is not the same as having a HPF and a fully parametric 4 band eq on each channel complete with an RTA overlay.

For the same money as the ZED, you get more channels, DCA's, stereo recording, remote mixing, compressors, gates, much better reverbs and delays, PC editing and library maintenance software, full meter bridge, scribble strips, etc, etc. It is a pretty good business case IMHO.

• Members

And? Everybody seems to forget how can you use the "solo" function on the new digital mixers? If you go the tablet way (using an iem for wireless also with the tab?), and also? Besides the apple something, how can you stream music wireless from your tab to the XR(any)???

• CMS Author
There's a size where there isn't much benefit to digital (I think' date=' maybe I'm wrong). If all you need is a mic and a couple stereo inputs then a cheap Behringer 502 will work great (I have 3 in use). For small, they don't need anything else to operate, they will run for years. Under about 8 mono channels what's the point of digital? But that's just me, maybe I'll change my mind soon.[/quote']

If you need the additional tools, then a small digital really saves space and weight...imagine needing a rack to go along with your 502. Kinda blows the point of going compact if your mixer weighs three pounds but your rack's a hundred.

Having said that, the downside is that having mixers that small but fully-equipped furthers the notion to newbies that there's absolutely, positively no way to mix anything without delays, compression, de-esser, and four sweepable mids on every channel and output.

• Members

JV90, with the X32 Edit application, I believe there is a solo button you can use to hear individual channels out the headphone jack. If you want remote mixing with solo button, you're going to need wireless headphones/IEMs. Or your could always run a snake to the band, put the X32 rack where you want to mix from and use headphones with a cord.

Similarly, if you want wireless music streaming, you might need to add hardware.

I don't see how this is a problem, my 24 channel Mackie analog board doesn't have wireless streaming either.

Although, with the X32, you can play WAV files from the USB drive. MP3 files won't play as Behringer doesn't want to pay the licensing fee. It would be nice if they added support for Ogg Vorbis.

Note: I have never actually used the X32.

Wes

• Members

Thanks Wesg for your prompt response, I don't see it a problem too, on my X32 you can use the solo as it if we're an analog console, but you can't use that function when you are controlling it wireless from any place of the foh(Altought, if you use an iem like you've mentioned would work), and yes, the X32 as well would play Wav files into the recorder built in, as long you convert the Wav files into the correspond rate (normally in 48.000)

• Members

BTW if I were doing the "iPod DJ" thing and already had a wireless LAN established in the room.... I would get (as alluded to above) an Apple Airport Express ($99) and stream from iPad with AirPlay. I use it at home and it's *awesome*.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I like to be hands on and am getting more comfortable with the ipads and uc surfaces and I think after researching the Presonus RM32AI I will go with that. I like having the linkable auxes creating stereo aux sends that also have access to the fat channels and the ability to run Qmix.Then with the Presonus Dante cards available I will then get a Presonus Studiolive 32.4.2 Ai Mixer which will give me my tactile and iPad control at the FOH position and all I have to do is run a Cat5 cable to FOH that is cool. I have a tactile FOH interface and a suaper modded stagebox.This will enable my IEM a complete mixer at the stage with comps, EQ's, verb delay etc.. plus Qmix and of course Capture to record shows. This will be very cost effective for the amount of adaptation and options. Right now I have a 24.4.2 for FOH and a 16.4.2 just for my monitor IEM's but I want to say so long to the snake. I will also save on gaffer tape that will probably cover the expense of the RM 32Ai.

• Members

Too hard to move around, too heavy and wouldn't work with the trailer pack. I do a variety of gigs, from full bands, to DJ'ing to comedians. By keeping things modular, I'm able to use what I need depending on the gig. Plus a couple places have stairs, not so fun for one person. I got a pretty big show into my trailer when needed, and everything has its place in the trailer. My power amps sit on top of the subs, so I have to be able to get them up there.

5DBDC32F-DD47-4780-966E-F1ED9E15C2EC.jpg

I am going to mount it into a 6 space shock mount case, along with my 2 wireless mics. Then it will be safe & sound.

• Members

I use a van or box truck, when packing a trailer you need to be extra careful of weight distribution so my ideas on gear won't work. I usually pack subs and cable trunks up front then let the smaller gear fill in behind.

fwiw I split mains and monitors into separate amp racks, and 4 channel amps condense the pack even more. The larger mon amp racks can power a set of mojo biamp mains too if needed, and this happens quite a bit too.

ive noticed I'm using more small racks and end up with a million 2-4sp lids at a gig. The catch is using a 4sp FOH rack, a 6sp mon amp rack another 2sp amp rack (mix 5&6 or 5-8). Add a FOH amp rack with wheels (I love racks on wheels!) that's either 8 or 12sp and that's a lot of lids.

My latest rack I'm trying has 6 monitor amp channels (alto D4 and carvin dcml1540) and a peavey ipr5k for mono biamp, a rane 31 band eq for mains and a drpa. All with a behringer ada8k using only adat cable to connect to the mixer (01v96). Light pipe I/O and speakon out. Oh, and a rack drawer for gak. I'll post a pic soon

• Members
BTW if I were doing the "iPod DJ" thing and already had a wireless LAN established in the room.... I would get (as alluded to above) an Apple Airport Express ($99) and stream from iPad with AirPlay. I use it at home and it's *awesome*.

I wouldn't stream music via airplay for anything that's critical. I tried using it for backing tracks and it worked well - but not every single time!

Mine works great at home but don't trust it at venues!

• Members

The reason you won't see as many using the Android platform is that they don't dont have a class compliant driver. Also it seems that every manufacturer customizes the code for their own devices. So that makes a lot of extra work for manufacturers which translates to extra cost to consumers.

• Members

It's like all the brands use android but each manufacturer has it's own little variations. So there's litterally hundreds of different types of "android OS" so they would have to say pick 5 and make it compatible with those

then you would have people saying "well why only those 5" and you're back to the "why only Apple" thing.

• Members

Strat: so that explains why it seems every android device's OS seems to vary by model? I had to upgrade my droid phone cause the old one took a dive, the new phone's OS seemed to have fixed all the problems the old one had and it was very different to say the least. :)

Archived