Mackie DL32R

• Members

Some thoughts:

It is in the same price range as an X32 Rack with an S16 stage box.

It has no physical interface at all

Unless they have improved the verbs, they are just "OK".

Unless they have improved the connectability, there are still issues.

It is possible that the DL1608 issues have been resolved in this newer model with more channels. Still, it seems like one might be better off with an X32 Rack and an S16 stage box..... except it would take more rack spaces.

They did put a 32x32 recording/playback multi-track into it (woot!) which is a huge plus in my book. It is still down on input count compared to the affore mentioned X32 Rack solution which would sport 38 inputs.

Still, all stated, it looks like a pretty decent offering.

• Members

The multitrack recording to an external drive is really cool. And the top being curved so you can strap a hard drive and wifi router is really smart too. I like the mackie app for the most part, I hope it becomes available for android though.

• Members

It looks good for those that can live without real faders and would be brilliant for my situation. The DL1608 has a few issues but its associated app (Master Fader) is brilliant and it looks like its been improved for the DL32.

I won't be rushing out to buy one of the first DL32 but I will be looking on with interest and may be tempted if it proves reliable after six months of real world testing.

Cheers

• Members

I still wonder how it would be to not be able to solo a channel during the show. Also can the Ipad play backing tracks or even background music wifi connected to it? I guess it would be run to the stage to do these or set the box up in a suitable location.

• Members
I still wonder how it would be to not be able to solo a channel during the show. Also can the Ipad play backing tracks or even background music wifi connected to it? I guess it would be run to the stage to do these or set the box up in a suitable location.

Soloing is an issue. A lot of users stream music via air tunes - that is using your iphone/ipad to send music wirelessy to the airport express/extreme which itself is wired into a couple of input channels.

Cheers

• CMS Author

It's (per their spec sheet) iPad only, and within that, it's iPad 2 and up only (iOS 7), so the 1st gen issues are rendered moot with this model.

It'll play backing/background tracks from iTunes unless they've somehow blocked this, as Master Fader has this enabled for the 806/1608 models. It's a virtual channel. This would bring its input count (32 mic, 4 returns, stereo iTunes) up to the X32's 38.....sortof.

Personally, I have to wonder how it'll be to mix that many channels via the smallish screen interface. Master Fader, however was very responsive. When it finally connected...

Up at that channel count, I'd like to see perhaps support for large touchscreens.

• Members

That's the problem with larger consoles on a tablet: screen size is limited by the users budget. A larger computer or tablet with like the one in the presonus vid are many thousands of dollars. Plus having something that not-small and mobile just walking around with it? Oh, well how about a tablet stand for foh? We can put it next to the hog and its screen. Now we might as we'll just use a controller anyway and take the iPad out to tweek.

• CMS Author

If I can get my hands on a new-enough iPad, I can get one, as it was offered to me for a Hand's-on Review. But it's hard to justify the huge expense of an iPad for this...and the issue we've been batting around in the forum about these tablet interface mixers is coming to play for me.

Specifically:

Money is tight. While I could make some use of a tablet, it's by no means a must have item right now.

So do I opt for a used or otherwise older model and risk early obsolescence?

Or do I shell out five or six hundred or more, for the newest Air?

Of course, the other issue is that while the Mackie mixers use Apple stuff, and I have other Apple stuff, other mixers use Android. I suppose a cheap Android tablet would be advised for that purpose.

Maybe I should ask Mackie to send me an Air with the mixer...

Oy

• Members

iOS 8.1 seems to run fine on my iPad2 and original iPad Mini :) . I suspect the iPad 2 will be "cut off" when iOS 9 comes out just as the original iPad is stuck at iOS 7.x . You can probably get an iPad 3 (either 30 pin or lightning) from Apple as a refurb somewhat cheaply too.

• Members

It appears there is no way to physically connect the I pad to the unit. This is not good .Was really looking forward to the release of this as I really enjoy using Master Fader. To rely totally on wireless connection is insane!

• Members
I just received an upgrade to iOS 8.1 for my iPhone 5C' date=' anybody know of any problems or is it generally considered stable?[/quote']

I finally decided to risk installing IOS 8.1 on my iPhone 5s but was stopped as the upgrade is 5.9 Gb and I was "told by the upgrade process" that I had to make room on my phone -- ie, take all the music off for now. Hopefully it cleans up after itself and I can reinstall the music afterwards.

• Members
iOS 8.1 seems to run fine on my iPad2 and original iPad Mini :) . I suspect the iPad 2 will be "cut off" when iOS 9 comes out just as the original iPad is stuck at iOS 7.x . You can probably get an iPad 3 (either 30 pin or lightning) from Apple as a refurb somewhat cheaply too.

Actually, the original iPad is limited to iOS 5. I still have one. It's become my wife's Scrabble iPad.

I also have an iPad 3 running iOs 8.1 and it's fine.

• Members
Runs fine on my iPad 2's - You'll probably have to do a complete factory reset to get back up :( .

Umm, not to appear stupid -- how does one do a factory reset? I just upgraded my iPad 3 and is works but is noticeable slower response. Going to try connecting to the X32 this evening to check things out.

Archived