A new one on me

• Members

Just when you think you've seen (or heard) it all. I have this gig mixing mediocre country bands 2 to 4 nights a week (Some are more mediocre than others :-). A lot of them are really R&R bands that have picked up enough country to fulfill the requirements of their gig and they do some percentage of R&R in the mix. If everyone is dancing (and most importantly drinking), management doesn't really care. This latest band pulled "play that funky music" out of their cowboy hats but the bigger surprise was they put a banjo solo in it. Just when I thought it couldn't get any more bizarre - here's the banjo :-).

• Members
Banjo is a bit like ketchup. You can put it on just about anything' date=' and some people do. Not recommended by those with more refined palettes, however.[/quote'] But then again Bela and Chic Corea and even more so Bela and Edgar Meyer are a bit too "refined" for the claw hammer crowd. Yes? ..dave

• Members

But then again Bela and Chic Corea and even more so Bela and Edgar Meyer are a bit too "refined" for the claw hammer crowd. Yes? ..dave

Just because Wolfgang Puck can probably create some amazing dishes using ketchup doesn't mean every dish at the county fair needs to be slathered with it.

• Members
But then again Bela and Chic Corea and even more so Bela and Edgar Meyer are a bit too "refined" for the claw hammer crowd. Yes? ..dave

Ya I worked Bella Fleck about a year ago. What that man does with a banjo is so unlike it's traditional use that I don't even thing of it as banjo music (more like stringed electric fusion). Between He and Victor Wooten the show was an absolute jaw dropper.

I guess anything can work if it's implemented just right. There's a Country hit with bad pipes (Oops I DID mean BAG pipes :-) throughout. The proof is it actually does work for the song.

• Members

I like the banjo just fine and I'm a big fan of mixing genres and having fun with music that way. At the same time, the put banjo and fiddle on a song, play the drum beat in two-step and call it "bluegrass" thing has been done to death. Unless the band is doing it REALLY well, the gimmick itself has pretty much been played out. Done poorly and I just find it to be annoying.

At least for me anyway. Obviously it's still working for some. It's all good. Party on, Garth.

Archived