Yamaha MG10 vs MG102 c

• Members

Hi all. I tried googling and searching the forum, but nowhere could I find anything to help me decide.

I used to have a Yamaha MG10/2. It was stolen :-( and now I'd like to replace it with a similar unit.

I can have the MG102 C for about 25% less than the new MG10 series.

Apart from aestethics, could anyone give me a heads up about the differences between these two mixers? In particular - is there any difference to the preamps? Is the new MG10 worth the extra cash in your opinion?

Thanks to anyone who answers :)

Erik

• Members

Hi: to Craig: No, I was thinking MG102c vs MG10 (without the effects and USB)

to Mikekars: I'd take that deal instantly, but I doubt you're behind your offer of free shipping when you learn that I'm in Norway ;-)

Thanks, guys!

Erik

• CMS Author

Velkommen til forumet !

If the preamps are different (Yamaha's literature isn't clear about this) I doubt you would hear any difference. Preamp circuits aren't very different between competing brands or even between higher and lower priced models within a brand. Much fuss is made about them, of course, but that's the marketing department spinning details to entice buyers. The reality is that there's way more influence over sound in other facets of the mixer's design. I'd rather have gobs of headroom than a "fancy" preamp.

I find the smaller MG mixers lack a real monitor (prefader auxiliary) send, and that makes them much less useful as a small band mixer for live sound. The "monitor" output on these models is nothing more than a headphone output and is the full mix, with no control of which channels are heard or their relative levels. This makes them more useful as recording mixers than for live sound.

If that shortcoming isn't a problem for you, then I'd say either of these models is fine. The differences are in:

1. channel layout (the MG10 has one more channel control and is 4 mono, 3 stereo/line, the 102c is 2 mono, 2 mono/stereo/line combo, and 2 stereo/line)

2. The MG10 loses the 2-track input in exchange for the added channel control, I guess.

• Members

Thanks, Craig!

I get it about the preamps. Thanks for clearing that a bit for me, so that I don't fall prey to marketing stuff that I'll probably never hear in the final sound.

However, been searching a bit more on my own, and I'm landing on the MG 10XU. A bit more cash, but compared to the MG102c (which would've been my other choice), it has the USB connectivity (nice for recording on-the-go) and effects (no biggie, but nice to have). And a sturdier metal chassis - I plan on schlepping this one around a bit.

Otherwise mostly using it for either sub-mixing some drum-mics, or so simple setups that a separate monitor mix really isn't neccessary. I have bigger mixers that gets use when we do live stuff that needs this.

So - I ended up with a slightly different model, but still really appreciate your input!

Erik

• Members

By the way... even though it's not important to me - if someone else reads this: I think there actually is a mono aux send available on the MG10, that could be used for a separate monitor mix, Look at this picture: http://www.musik-produktiv.com/pic-010072590_01xxl/yamaha-mg-10_01xxl.jpg.

On the MG10XU you'd have to use the effects bus (disable effects if needed) and then route the effects knob signal from each channel to the FX out? Am I wrong? http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/MG10XU-large.jpg

Cheers,

Erik

• CMS Author
By the way... even though it's not important to me - if someone else reads this: I think there actually is a mono aux send available on the MG10, that could be used for a separate monitor mix, Look at this picture: http://www.musik-produktiv.com/pic-010072590_01xxl/yamaha-mg-10_01xxl.jpg.

On the MG10XU you'd have to use the effects bus (disable effects if needed) and then route the effects knob signal from each channel to the FX out? Am I wrong? http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/750/MG10XU-large.jpg

Cheers,

Erik

A monitor auxiliary send should be pre-fader, so that any changes made to a channel's level in the main mix are not reflected in the monitor mix. A look at the block diagram (in the data sheet on Yamaha's MG10 spec page) shows there's no pre-fader aux send in these models.

• Members

If you're dead set on a tiny mixer then just get something a little bigger than what you need. As far as physical size the difference in an inch or 2, and I know you ain't gonna be confused by a few extra knobs. If this is confusing then may I recommend the behringer 502: 1 mic, 2 stereo. No aux. no effects. Tape in and out. Tape. Now go.

Archived