Semi-OT: software to upload *from* iPod?

• CMS Author

I know there's a lot of talent in this forum, perhaps someone can direct me to some software that'll let me move music from a 5th Gen iPod. It hasn't been sync'd in years, is authorized on my laptop but somehow iTunes thinks it's not the original version and won't sync without wiping the iPod clean. I honestly don't know how the two got out of sync as it was the only laptop/device I had. It's kindof important that I get this music backed up...my ex- managed to abscond with most of my CD collection, there are 1,000+ songs on this with no hard copies of most.

I've read that there is 3rd-party software to handle this, but don't want to risk something that might not work or worse would lose the collection.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated! I'll be out most of the day but will check back this evening. Thanks!

• CMS Author

Well, Job1 was that I was asked late in the game to handle some wedding ceremony music for my girlfriend's daughter's wedding this weekend. She had a couple of string versions of Every Thing I Do, and Welcome to the Black Parade (hey, I only play what I'm asked...I had no input in these decisions....) as the processional and wedding march. Simple, I bought and d/l'd them, edited the latter to 1:45 as requested, and then went to sync them to the iPod, when all hell broke loose. I remembered why I don't use the iPod much for this stuff....

• CMS Author

Two thumbs up for MediaMonkey. It didn't take forever to get the hang of configuring iTunes and it. It worked first try. I screwed up royally by going the "more is better" route in deciding what MediaMonkey would scan and let it take EVERYTHING that was a music/sound/video file on my laptop. It was painful when I discovered what I'd done by seeing 1,000's of additional "songs" on the iPod. But kudo's to them for making it relatively easy to delete all the gak and set up a much tighter scan criteria.

Archived