New Behringer Digital Mixers

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Behringer Digital Mixers

Interesting points from the video:

* X18 as previously described (~ $800.00)

* X-Air app:
    **** Android, PC and iOS support
    **** Unlimited DCA's
    **** Fully customizable layers
    **** Editing of channel strip while still maintaining fader view
    **** Swipe to scroll across faders

* XR18 stage box format version of the X18

* XR16
    **** stage box format
    **** 8 mic/line inputs on XLR combo jacks with X32 "Midas inspired" preamps
    **** 8 1/4" line inputs
    **** 4 aux out (vs 6 in X/XR18)
    **** Only 2 track recording to USB stick (no 18x18 recording interface)
    **** ~$500.00
    **** No ultranet (no P16 monitoring system support)

* XR12
    **** Stage box format
    **** 4 mic/line inputs on XLR combo jacks
    **** 8 1/4" line inputs
    **** 2 1/4" aux outs
    **** ~$300.00

My take:

The X18 is going to finally put a good competitor in the market against the DL1608. The UI improvement is really nice (you can download an early version on the iPad).

XR18 .... eh. Limited surprise here.
    XR16 .... This thing is good enough to run many a small band on. Very interesting combination at a really good price.
    XR12 ..... Wow. While I love my little ZED 10Fx .... wow.

With Greater Knowledge Comes Greater Understanding

8 mic inputs does not a band mixer make... in general anyway.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Originally posted by agedhorse View Post
      8 mic inputs does not a band mixer make... in general anyway.
      Most bar bands in small clubs don't mic the drums .... or if they do, only the kick and overheads for the toms. 3 vocals, 2 guitars, bass, kick, overhead ... 8. If you DI the bass, you can get another overhead. It is enough for a minimalist setup, but not much more.

I agree, it isn't enough for anyone doing a serious bar gig.

The XR12 on the other hand is IDEAL IMHO for solo, duo, Karaoke gigs. I think they are going to sell a gozillion of these things .... maybe even one to me

In a pinch, I could put my 3 vocals, and one guitar cab into mic preamps, and then put my Kemper into a pair of 1/4" and the 5 outputs from the vDrums into 1/4" inputs. I could use the 2 aux outputs to feed my stereo IEM mix. I would lose the additional 4 mono mixes we each have, but still.... what a great little backup mixer.... especially for only $300.00.

Comment

I've not been a fan of the x32 because I've no need for a physical mixer but the XR18 stage box has got my attention. Lots of good gear about to be released!
        Last edited by Art Flood; 10-01-2014, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Hmm, gonna have to choose between the XR18 and XR16. I think the XR18, some wireless, and a power amp or two would be a dandy little portable PA for anything I typically do.
          Chief fader ape, wire monkey, mic macaque, and speaker chimp.

Comment

Yes pretty slick. I don't know how analog mixers will ever compete at the middle to lower level of sound production. This would a more professional application for a many many uses it appears. However, the ability for users to really dork stuff up exists.

OneEng our resident x32 expert: have a question, Do you know if you can stream music wirelessly from the workstation to the mixer? (whatever interface is being used to control the mixer)

Comment

People certainly are starting to "think" along the lines of their phones and tablets. I suspect that in the not too distant future, someone that would have been clueless with a hands on analogue mixer, might actually be able to operate a digital mixer, simply because the architecture and platform styles will be similar to their non PA apps.

Saving money on the nuts and bolts of a mixer and then passing on those savings is a great idea if you can get there first or do it best. Mackie tried, but IMHO the savings weren't enough and it was a one device (iPad/iPhone) deal. Looks like Behringer might be the clear winner - as much as it pains me to say so.

Comment

I can't understand the need for all the "digital features" at the 4x mic input level. I have my 10fx for that sort of gig. These things look really interesting though. As discussed in another thread I'm looking at buying a qu24 but the whole idea of obsolescence worries me. At this stage as a dedicated engineer I think showing up without a full console would be a bad look.

Comment

Originally posted by nchangin View Post
                  Yes pretty slick. I don't know how analog mixers will ever compete at the middle to lower level of sound production. This would a more professional application for a many many uses it appears. However, the ability for users to really dork stuff up exists.

OneEng our resident x32 expert: have a question, Do you know if you can stream music wirelessly from the workstation to the mixer? (whatever interface is being used to control the mixer)

Hi nchangin,

Yep. People are doing it with the apple airport express

Comment

Originally posted by heath_eld View Post
                    I can't understand the need for all the "digital features" at the 4x mic input level. I have my 10fx for that sort of gig. These things look really interesting though. As discussed in another thread I'm looking at buying a qu24 but the whole idea of obsolescence worries me. At this stage as a dedicated engineer I think showing up without a full console would be a bad look.
                    I also have my 10fx for that kind of thing

Having said that, for the same money, I would much rather have an XR12 which has more inputs, and wireless control. The EFX in the X32 line are also much nicer than in the ZED and the channel eq is way more powerful.

My ZED is currently my "Plan B" if my X32 Rack fails me. I could limp along with it, but the XR12 would give me 90% of the capability of the X32 Rack for only $300.00. That is just silly good for that money.

Comment

I gotta say that's pretty cool, I could see a situation where the xr18 sits in an amp rack (yes I still use amps!) hard wired along with a rack drawer for gack. Maybe a couple channels of wireless mics. I'm considering getting the mackie dl1608 and this would be a good solution. Even if I don't get either there will still be plenty of new iPad mixing options coming out in the next few years. Maybe I'll wait till the technology matures. What's the shelf life on an x18? iPads last about 4 years? I guess it's how long the app lasts with whatever OS and platform. Question for the forum, how old is your main mixer? Or the oldest one you'd put in a mission critical gig? I'm retiring some classic 01v's that are 16yrs old. And I've got a spirit folio that's got to be 20yrs old.
                      www.rock-bot.com
                      Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

A mixer with a 5yr life span seems like pissing money away
                        www.rock-bot.com
                        Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Originally posted by Unalaska View Post
                          A mixer with a 5yr life span seems like pissing money away
                          Good point and I guess it is like pissing money away - but I suspect all these sub $1000 mixers are going to be disposable items. Especially given how often new products come out with even more bells and whistles.

Aren't new cars pretty much in the same bracket?

Comment

Originally posted by Art Flood View Post

Good point and I guess it is like pissing money away - but I suspect all these sub $1000 mixers are going to be disposable items. Especially given how often new products come out with even more bells and whistles.

Aren't new cars pretty much in the same bracket?
                            Interesting point. I think perhaps anything manufactured and sold is in the same bracket..."build a better mousetrap...." applies to spaceships, mixers, phones and cars pretty equally. If someone comes up with something that people want, they'll flock to it. The "old" something still works, does what *it* was supposed to do, but loses value more quickly if it's no longer "state of the art" or at least "current". Look at car ads...nothing about horsepower, cornering ability, or ABS brakes....that stuff is just expected to be great. Today's car ads are all about the car driving for you (some of the ads are promoting inattentiveness....greaaat) and the big display prominently positioned mid-dash.
                            "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

Oddly, something that seems to be unique to Behringer in the small digital mixer category is support for PC and Android based software and not just iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, etc.). PC support pretty much guarantees a long succession of control options even if Apple capriciously changes their software or hardware dramatically. Mackie got a hard lesson on this when Apple iPad changed size and connector mid-stream with little warning.
                              Chief fader ape, wire monkey, mic macaque, and speaker chimp.

Comment

Working...
                              X