Yorkville Paraline System

• Members

Hey...I was wondering if anyone on here has had any actual "hands on" experience with the Yorkville Paraline System....I'm thinking about getting one (2 top boxes and 2 double 15s per side) but I have a hard time spending about $18,000 without hearing it first....although I have heard a country band play through 3 top boxes per side with some other subs in the system - they were ok but lacked low-mids - something I was told the original subs would cover....also considering the Turbosound iq and/or Siena series...any thoughts on either of these also?

Thank you!

• Members

I think you REALLY need to get a demo of these in the environment you intend to use them in. This also means that you probably will want to have a good working relationship with a dealer. What a dealer doesn't want to do is incur the cost of handling a demo only for the customer to buy elsewhere because of price or something else. Once you have a dealer demo the product and you decide to buy the product, you owe the dealer something IMO.

• Members

Where are you located? How many days per month (or year) will the system be in use?

I have had several impromptu in store demos of the Paraline and have heard the system several times, and played through it as well. I too felt there was a low mid hole, but not being the operator, I wouldn't be able to say that was system or operator induced.

As AH has said, a full on demo of the PA would be in order. If you are in Canada, and in a large metro area, then renting the system a few times might tell the whole story. In fact, at the price/performance point of the Paraline, you would have to work it a fair bit, to compete with the L&M rental rates.

If the intended purchase is for a rental company then you also have to look at rider and performer preferences.

I can say that I used a PSA1S sub (dual 12") and really like it. Nice thump for the size and weight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thank you both for your input....I really appreciate hearing other people's opinions/experiences. I'm located in the States, Northeast Ohio to be exact. Since I posted this I've run the gamut of speaker research....giving myself an incredible headache...Currently I'm looking into the RCF 6001a cabinets and their subs...again fairly pricey without being able to actually hear them. All of the reviews seem to come from DJs! I recently got to hear the new EV ETX speakers at a local Sam Ash...they actually weren't too bad and not as pricey as the Paralines or the RCFs.

• Members

Are the QSC kla's in the running? I heard them (top boxes anyway) at the jazz festival this summer. They sounded really good, but again I don't know if that's because they were an average box with a great tech, or a great box with an average tech. Of course if a rider is a consideration, then you might have to go with something that's acceptable - whether they sound better or not. Actually that's a good question. Is this system for personal use or will it have to be rider friendly?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The system is just for personal use, I doubt that I'll ever need to worry about any rider requirements. I basically just want an extremely kick ass system for medium sized rooms that will still sound great when pushed, as I like to mix fairly loud at times and love my low end....lol. I've pretty much ruled out the Paraline Series, mainly due to price. I've been talking with a former boss of mine that's a dealer for D.A.S. and can get me some really great deals on their "Action" series but I'm still trying to set up a good time to give them a listen. I haven't really looked in the QSC cabs because a lot of what I read/heard tells me that they won't be what I'm looking for. So far I've looked into RCF, DAS, EV and actually Carvin but the only ones that I've been able to hear so far are the EV ETX line at the local Sam Ash store...

• Members

If you have the kind of funds to consider the Paraline system I would suggest that you consider a pair of powered Bassboss AT212s with the 90 degree horn option over a pair of their SP218 powered subs. You could also go with one powered sub and one passive as the amp module in these is capable of driving both. This is a great sounding system and about as simple to set up as it can get.

• Members

It sounds like you're looking for raw power over a line array. You didn't answer AG's question, but I'm guessing you're not going to ever fly the system so you might as well go ground stacked stuff. Most manufacturers have their big pants/big sound lines. Yorkville has the TX line, EV has the QRX and who knows what else by now. I believe even Peavey had some pretty robust stuff that didn't get a lot of gear snob love, but was apparently pretty good.

The top flight guys also have the same deal - at top flight prices. You could also go with an older discounted line of speakers or used.

I think you're really going to need to define what you want, when and if you want it paid off, what specific venues, size of truck, size of crew (if any) and on and on.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ok....I'm back and still researching systems. My head is about to explode at this point. I've never heard of BASSBOSS but I'm going to look into them. I thought that I found a great top box until I got a price quote of $6250 (retail, per cab) for the Fulcrum Acoustic FA22AC....no way can I afford those plus the subs to go with them. Other cabs I've looked at are the RCF 4PRO6001....also a bit pricey and at 120# I'm not sure that I want to be moving them by myself...to answer the previous question: I prefer ground stacking as it seems to be the most efficient as far as setup/teardown goes. Another couple of cabinets that caught my eye (but have unfortunately been discontinued) are the Turbosound TQ 445DP tops and the matching TQ425DP subs....always been a fan of Turbosound. Recently I spoke to a Sweetwater "pro" and he steered me away from their Milan series citing quality issues. He then steered me towards the Presonus AI lines and the Mackie HD series....any thoughts on these??

• Members

I've used the paralines a fair bit and I'm not sold on them. They're not too heavy and the subs pack OK, but the tops are awkward and take up a ton of space. They sound ok in small rooms but they run out of gas really quickly. You'll find yourself up against the limiters before you know it. I wouldn't use any less than 2 tops and 2 subs per side.

I'd rather have a pair of PRX715 over PRX718XLF if I was looking for a compact powered FOH for smaller venues.

• Members

You're right....I am all over the place...which is why my head is going too explode! Lol I just want a pretty great system that's portable and loud...a good loud - not a distorted loud...with plenty of low end (I'm also a drummer!). I'm looking at spending no more than about $12,000/$13,000 on mains....so go ahead and shoot me some suggestions then.

• Members

The x32 is great. we've been using them since they launched. great boards. we just got the new M32 and that's great also.

As far as your system requirements ... how portable is "portable"? can fit in a minivan? can be moved by one person?

most of the rock gigs I do are with a pair of LS1004 and E2152. definitely what I consider "portable" but we have a 3/4 ton van and a ramp.

• Members
The x32 is great. we've been using them since they launched. great boards. we just got the new M32 and that's great also.

As far as your system requirements ... how portable is "portable"? can fit in a minivan? can be moved by one person?

most of the rock gigs I do are with a pair of LS1004 and E2152. definitely what I consider "portable" but we have a 3/4 ton van and a ramp.

Hey Mogwix,

How does the M32 compare with the X32 in terms of sound quality?

• Members
And I guess that I should also mention that I want to go with active mains...

As AH suggested, PRX system.

PRX712M over PRX718XLF is the most frequently used setup.

If you don't mind a bit more size and weight, the PRX735 over the PRX718XLF is a very potent rig with a bit more punch and clarity than the 712.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived