Which RCF Sub to buy

• Members

I am a bass player that provides and runs sound from the stage for two cover bands playing small to medium bars and an occasional park or festival gig. Right now running vocals only PA consisting of 2 RCF 312's as mains, 2 RCF 310's as monitors and a Yamaha MG16 mixer. I really would like to get the kick drum and possibly my bass through the whole system, and need some advice on which RCF sub would go well with my situation, and I can only afford to buy one at the moment but would not be opposed to adding a second down the road. I would like to stick with the RCF sub, because from what i have read they play nice with the tops, and i am impressed with the RCF gear I have now. So should I go with the 718-AS or would a 705 be good enough for now, and maybe add a second 705 down the road? Would The 718 be enough for most gigs? Its pretty much a 15 vs 18 toss up. Any advice would be great, and thanks in advance..

• Members

I agree with nchanging. the specs are very similar only 2db difference with the 15 inch and 20 pounds lighter. That said I would really audition them first because the specs may not tell the whole story as they look like a band pass design. I'm sure either one of these would make a big difference in the kick though. I got tired of hauling heavy gear years ago so I would go lighter.

• Members

Are you absolutely married to an RCF sub? I owned a pair of 705-AS subs for many years and, while OK, the band pass design is not the best sounding thing going. I now use a pair of JBL PRX718XLF subs with my RCF 522A's on top. It's a pretty rockin system with much lower and more accurate bass than the 705's ever gave me. The JBL's are significantly larger, but if you can fit them, they are also around $1050 each, so much cheaper than the 905.

• Members

You wouldn't need a crossover using the PRX718XLF since it has one built in. It has a HPF output at 90Hz. Just use your tops full range and engage the crossover built into the XLF.

I agree with Abzurd ..... the XLF's are a much more powerful and better sounding sub than the 705's.

• Members

Other than matching logos, in this case there's really no compelling reason to stay with the same brand. I think the RCF subs are built better as far as materials go, but the performance doesn't match the build quality on the 705-AS, IMO. You'll spend less and get 4-5 more "notes" on the low end and just a better overall sounding sub. Maybe the 905 is better though, I don't know.

• Members
Check out the Yorkville LS-801P,,, it'll eat that 705-AS like an hors d'oeuvre. :D Mind you, it's a fairly large sub,, but very easy to move around (casters). Plenty of "voicing" options too, so very easily mated to your existing mains.

Fair warning you WILL need a crossover for this sub as, unlike most other manufacturers, Yorkville does not provide proper crossovers in their active subs. This makes it less convenient to use a different brands top box.

Archived