Loose/broken Input XLR's on Peavey XR600E

• CMS Author

Got a friend's Peavey XR600E front panel sitting in my truck. Gonna take it home and see if I can resolder the mic input jacks. One is completely pulled out, and two others have one or two pins pulled loose from the board. No other signs of damage, the pins pulled through the solder as if they may have been cold joints even though all the remaining joints look very well soldered. They're Neutrik sockets, so I'm guessing the real problem is poor quality plugs that fit too tightly.

Looks like a straightforward resolder, but if anyone has any gotcha's I should be aware of, I'd appreciate the head's-up....

• CMS Author

Went smoothly. My soldering rig is probably older than the mixer: Weller TC202 station, "44" 60/40 .031 resin core, and eyes that really need help. But the solder flowed easily with the quick touch, and I redid all of the jacks in a few minutes. Back to my friend to reassemble (I only took the front panel assembly) and he can test it out. With any luck now he owes me a favor :-)

• CMS Author

I started poking around to see if anyone else still has this old soldering station, and was quite surprised to see that you can even still buy a new plug and receptacle kit for it. Mine had failed long ago and the station was trashed, which is how I came by this unit...dad brought it home from his job at Litton. I hardwired the cord into the base and have used it that way ever since. Good to know it can be restored for $11.

Archived