WTH Peavey?

• Members

So a new-to-me band I rehearsed with last night has a PV20USB and unless I've gone blind and stoopid it has no solo system - so no way to put a VU meter on an input to set the trim. Does Peavey really think that's a good design for this century? Bloody thing was clipping all night into the big-arse Bose totem-pole just behind me :( . I suppose I could jack a VU meter into the inserts? But really, who buys these things anyways?

And BTW it seems to me the average musician is incapable of hearing even fairly bad clipping - another WTH?

• Members
It is odd that it has mutes over a PFL , but it does have some channel metering, enough to tell you its in the red
I really needed to know how close to the red it was so I could set it with plenty of headroom to account for the typical non-leveled keyboard patches :( . I felt like I had gone back in time 30 years to when many mixers didn't have solos...

Just for fun I took a look at the manual for the Peavey Mark II I had 35 years ago, it's red light came on at 20db below clip (AKA about the 0 db level), this guy comes on at 3db below. The red light on the old board was pretty usable to set the levels, on this new board not-so-much :( .

• Members

I'd agree that I like to have a PFL/AFL cue system but even with minimal input metering (channel present & clip LEDs) you can still do the job. Ask the keyboard player for their loudest patch, slightly clip it and then back it down -10db. That should suffice. It's not as ideal as having high resolution metering for each input but it'll usually do the job.

Peavey mixers huh? I like a lot of Peavey's products but their mixers are not their strong point. I believe they still own Crest and they make some decent mixers but for some reason Peavey has never made a mixer that impressed me much. I was taking a media matrix class and I asked one of the design guys "Since you're so big in the digital COMMERCIAL audio business, when are you guys going to come out with a digital SR board?" This was nearly 10 years ago and they still haven't done so (it's probably so competitive that there isn't much profit in it).

I think their amps & speakers are a great bang for buck (and their high end lines are highly underated) but their mixers (other than the fact that like their other gear they never die)??? Ug!

• CMS Author

I recall being told years ago that Peavey regretted discontinuing the RQ series in favor of the PV's. My RQ is ancient and was inexpensive but it has solo's and the metering works well, even if the channel indicators are less than useful.

If anything I've got to question why they've not "recovered" from their earlier regrettable action. Their product pipeline is way too long for today's markets.

• Members
I'd agree that I like to have a PFL/AFL cue system but even with minimal input metering (channel present & clip LEDs) you can still do the job. Ask the keyboard player for their loudest patch, slightly clip it and then back it down -10db. That should suffice
I've yet to encounter a keyboardist that could tell you which of his patches was the loudest LOL. I'd normally put a comp BEFORE the mixer in a situation like that. And in this particular situation it was my first rehearsal with that band and the mixer wasn't close enough to me to be able to trim on the fly. Oh, and they have zero outboard, no monitors - just a pair of big-arse Bose totem poles (with single B1's for each :( ). Gonna be interesting how that works out with kick in them at a gig, keys are direct and I might go ampless too (at least for rehearsals).

• Members

Couple of things.

First it could have been done certainly, but it would have added to the price so a decision was made features vs price point.

Secondly, you don't really need PFL to set trim on a Peavey mixer. The clip LEDs read all the way through the chain (unlike other mixers who may be clipping but not giving any indication)

• Members
I've yet to encounter a keyboardist that could tell you which of his patches was the loudest LOL.

I know which of mine are the loudest, whether that volume is modulated by key velocity, filter settings, or other factors, and I set up the relative volumes of the patches as suits their level for their particular use. But then I program all my patches for most of my instruments rather than using presets; for the Hammond SK-1 and Moog Taurus, where I have essentially one patch I use for each, I have their volume balanced to match the other synths.

I have noticed that presets that come with keyboards often differ wildly in volume, though, and preset jockeys who don't modify the factory ones really need at least to write down where they need to set their master volume for each of those patches. It really is a fundamental responsibility of every musician to present a consistent signal to the sound engineer.

(Personally I blame the introduction of the DX-7. It was the first synth that was too hard to program for the average musician used to subtractive synthesis, and yet it was a "must-have" board in its day and came with good presets. After that, keyboardists started looking for factory sounds rather than thinking of a keyboard as an incomplete tool that had to be programmed to use.)

Archived