2x JBL PRX 718XLF or 4x EV ELX118p?

• Members

I am very keen to hear the PRX718 xlf's next to my EV's as I've heard a lot of great things about them! Whilst I recognise the JBL's are in a higher league, I was put off them due to past experience with the JBL EON518S subs. Those were extremely underwhelming and cost £400 more than my pair of EV's.

I would much prefer the convenience of only having to take a single pair of subs to gigs than 4xEV's. The JBL's are only about 4kg heavier than the EV's but much deeper so I'm concerned as to whether I could lift and carry one short distances by myself?

I've also heard good things about the QSC KW181's but those are heavier again (though they have wheels). The RCF 905's also look like they could be another option but I have no way of comparing all these subs.

• Members

I own MRX518's and the box dimensions seem to be similar to the complimentary PRX speakers. I also own a EV ELX118 P, I think the JBL's make more sense to move because of the design yes they are longer but the EV's are taller, I've have never needed my stacks to be higher, that is easily accomplished with a pole, but to reduce the height of a stack? Can';t be done unless you remove a box. and lower is usually safer when stacking multiple speakers.

As far as output, I'd like to hear what you desire to hear cause I'm in the same boat, have to load.unload 4 MRX 518's for the big stuff, sure would be sweeter with just 2 with same output, but realistically speaking as I've heard on here multiple times, you can't beat the physics of four 18's vs two 18"s.

• Members
I am very keen to hear the PRX718 xlf's next to my EV's as I've heard a lot of great things about them! Whilst I recognise the JBL's are in a higher league, I was put off them due to past experience with the JBL EON518S subs. Those were extremely underwhelming and cost £400 more than my pair of EV's.

I would much prefer the convenience of only having to take a single pair of subs to gigs than 4xEV's. The JBL's are only about 4kg heavier than the EV's but much deeper so I'm concerned as to whether I could lift and carry one short distances by myself?

I've also heard good things about the QSC KW181's but those are heavier again (though they have wheels). The RCF 905's also look like they could be another option but I have no way of comparing all these subs.

The EON's were (are) crap. The PRX718XLF is much more comparable to a properly processed and amplified SRX718/STX818. You are correct that they are in a different class than the EV ELX118 in both output and sound quality.

I have a neighbor down the street that has a KW rig with a pair of KW181's. We did a little speaker shoot out of his KW153 over KW181's vs my DSR112's over PRX618S-XLF's.

I preferred his 3-way 15" tops, but liked the XLF's quite a bit better than the KW181's. The XLF's are tighter and more musical to my ear. I have never heard the RCF's to compare them.

• Members

Yes the EON's were pretty poor! The PRX718XLF's (£2200 pair) ought to be in a different class as they cost £1200 more than my EV ELX118p's (£1000 pair).

I've only really felt the EV's were a fraction lacking maybe once or twice. Both of those gigs were in carpeted large plush marquees. For the large majority of gigs we do the EV's sound great! For the high majority of our gigs the EV's put out more than enough output for FOH!

Did a gig in a large hotel ball room for 200 guests tonight and found I didn't need the desk on higher than 40% and the sound sounded great!

• Members

I did a large ball room a few months ago for ~300 guests and for EDM, a pair of XLF's were pushed to limit to cover the room with dance level thump. In most bars my band plays in, the XLF's are fantastic where I feel a pair of ELX118's would likely be inadequate for the level of kick and bass we like for our shows.

Archived