Fog machine noise suppression?

• Members

We have a little fogger with a wired remote switch that we tape to the stage and activate by foot. Every third or fourth time it's energized, it throws a line noise 'pop' into the circuit it's plugged into. Sometimes we've been able to find a circuit that is isolated enough that we have no issues. Most often...not. We are not running a distro of any sort and use house power. I was wondering if a small UPS would be a solution? Do they have isolation that would be enough?

Anyone on the board has a better one-off solution for isolating this once-in-ten-gigs piece of gear? Is there an inexpensive 120v filter for such a thing?

Thanks!

• Members

Cheap DJ devices often are missing all the parts within the design essential for noise free operation. This is not uncommon, and there's really no easy solution. The onlyt hing you might check is if the noise gets better by separating the remote control switch cable run from any sensitive audio cabling. Some cheap units have noisy relay control for remotes.

• Members

Had this issue with chauvet smog machine.

Issued resolved using a Furman PL plus. I've discussed this before and I'm told it's just a glorified power strip. Not only has it resolved the pop sounds from the chauvet (which were sporadic themselves) it has zapped many hum issues when I had to plug video into an external TV hooked to the cable co's coax which I assume the ground loop came from cause when I disconnected the coax it went away, but the furman fixed that issue as well and didn't need to unhook the coax from the tv any longer.

** other experiences may vary **

• Members

I don't know aged, sure didn't look forward to disconnecting that coax every time. I bought it new. Funny about the smog machine though, I try to avoid it to be honest. It stinks, it's messy, you get more complaints than compliments.

Main reason I use it anymore is outdoors. Seems to work pretty good to keep the mosqueeters away.

• Members
Funny about the smog machine though' date=' I try to avoid it to be honest. It stinks,[/quote']I had a friend of mine switch to Master Fog fluid which has no glycerin in it thus no "stink" or clogging:

http://www.master-fog.com/Master-Fog-Classic-s/1827.htm

Definitely give it a try :) ! It costs a bit more that the cheap crap but goes further - glycerin is cheaper than the "good" glycols which is why most fluids use it.

Archived