PRX612m - 3 out of 4 have now failed

• Members

I guess I am just venting. So apologies if this thread is not useful to anyone - hopefully I'll feel better getting it out of my system.

Another one of my PRX612m's died at a gig on the weekend - it was only 13 (months). It went off like a gunshot followed by the acrid smell of a blown capacitor. Scared the hell out of the band and audience. I aways carry a spare so the show was back within about 5 minutes.

I took it in to the shop this morning so the pimply headed kid at the counter could confirm it was dead and start the paperwork for a warranty claim. I bought four of these and this is the third one to die under warranty.

They are only covered for two years in Australia, my first two are probably out of warranty the second two will be in less than a year.

I am not sure what I'll do then as I love the sound, size and weight of these speakers but I am losing confidence in their reliabilty.

I sure hope the PRX712m are more reliable. But my confidence in JBL has been shaken and it might be time to go RCF (HD12a look real nice).

Thanks for listening!

• Members
I guess I am just venting. So apologies if this thread is not useful to anyone - hopefully I'll feel better getting it out of my system.

Another one of my PRX612m's died at a gig on the weekend - it was only 13 (months). It went off like a gunshot followed by the acrid smell of a blown capacitor. Scared the hell out of the band and audience. I aways carry a spare so the show was back within about 5 minutes.

I took it in to the shop this morning so the pimply headed kid at the counter could confirm it was dead and start the paperwork for a warranty claim. I bought four of these and this is the third one to die under warranty.

They are only covered for two years in Australia, my first two are probably out of warranty the second two will be in less than a year.

I am not sure what I'll do then as I love the sound, size and weight of these speakers but I am losing confidence in their reliabilty.

I sure hope the PRX712m are more reliable. But my confidence in JBL has been shaken and it might be time to go RCF (HD12a look real nice).

Thanks for listening!

Have you thought about contacting JBL directly ?? I realize that your repairs are probably logged with them somewhere but they would not necessarily tie them all together.

Maybe there was a bad batch that they would be aware of and at least then your story would be on file with them.

That way if anything happens out of warranty, they might step up and honor any repairs OR maybe cover you getting them all checked out …?

• Members

Thanks for the comment everyone.

I think as Aged said, I've just been unlucky. I bought these speakers in two lots of two. Two of the failures were input modules (I believe) and happened within weeks of purchasing. I've had a good run until the recent failure which does seems like a very different fault.

They do get used every weekend but they certainly are not getting pushed to their limits and mostly only two of the four are being used.

I've never had an issue with the PRX618xls so I think I can rule out any power supply issues (and I never run them from a generator). I've also got two PRX615s that I've never had a problem with but they don't get used as often either.

I will try and discuss with the distributor but they are doing the right thing in terms of repairing them under warranty (though this does take 3 to 4 weeks or more which is inconvenient).

My concern is more what happens after the warranty runs out - its only 2 years down here. I guess I would like to get 4 to 5 years out of them before I replace them.

On a brighter not I did a search for parts yesterday and it seems that modules for the amplifier are readily available and reasonably cheap, so I might just stock up on some spares.

I am also glad to hear that others here are having no problems with theirs.

Cheers

Archived