iPad and 01v/01v96

• Members

So I finally got off my ass and figured out how to control one with the other. I primarily use the 01v classic and now the 01v96 (bought one a few months ago). The 96 has some very cool features that puts it in a different class than the classic but essentially it's the same basic board. 12 mono, 2 stereo. 4 or 8 aux, eq, comp on all inputs and output. Each board has an adat card and the differences are big in the control and number of channels above the initial 16. I settled on an iPad app by John Milner for no consoles. There are a few pieces here: mixer, (quality) USB-midi interface (emu xone), dell pc running XP, and a cheap T-link wireless router. The PC is running a program called UMMU server which allows a single iPad to control the midi I/O out to the 01v(96). A newer version of the server allows multiple ipad control. Works very well! The iPad and the mixer handshake really well for fader and on/off adjustments. It also allows eq control on all input and outputs of the 01v96 version (2 different apps, for for each board). The eq works well except sometimes the type of eq curve on LF/HF doesn't get transferred. A shelf becomes stays a bell curve. So for deep eq and because comps aren't adjustable with the app it's best to get that out of the way with the console. I mix side stage all the time, so it's nice to sit out front in a lawn chair 80' back and mix. Even though I'm not running a snake I still end up walking around a lot, and that more because of non mix related stuff and being far from stage than anything. It looks impressive anyway, people constantly come up to me asking about it. I find it's easier to get 90% of a mix done with the board then sync the iPad later and fine tune. I can stand next to performers and mix monitors but I'm much quicker with a board. Oh yeah, I can't see inputs on the app. So I need to be at FOH. All in all I really like it, brings new life to these boards. The yamaha's are still a powerful console and I'm not running out buying something else newer just because it's new.

• Members

I do the same basic thing. I have 8 channels of Adat and sometimes 2 more channels of spdif coming from my 01v clasic to my 01v96.10 digital inputs. This gives me 22 channels of xlr inputs for the 01v96. I also have a ADA8000 adat preamp that gives me 8 more xlr inputs that go into the 2nd adat card I have on the 96 for 30 Xlr inputs when needed. Nice rig and is expandable as needed. Sometimes the classic for more inputs to the v96, sometimes just the ada8000 or on smaller gigs just the 01v96.

Doug

6f56dda186ddfac2d5906fcb96d2f1df.thumb.JPG.e493ec39e078a65aafc38dc8e87a5618.JPG

c4a383255f1c828959fc7e2496757e36.thumb.JPG.6a55ed73ab2294208c56c675cf853a82.JPG

Archived