Crown XLS 1000 Bridged mono 4-ohm?

• Members

Was looking for a cheap way to drive 2 yammy club subs that didn't break the bank or the back. Anyone have experience running the XLS drivecore amps in bridge mode especially in 4 ohm? How do they hold up outside in the heat? Most likely going to be for a DJ rig only.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Not nearly as well as if they weren't bridged into that load. With almost any amp you will always be trading off reliability for additional power and bridging that budget amp into a 4 ohm load will likely be hanging your toes off the edge of the cliff.

• Members

That was kinda of my thought also but wanted other opinions, on how reliable that amp could be running 4ohm bridged. My first reaction was to just get another QSC GX-5 and run 1 sub/channel. But then saw that those drivecore amps were sooooo much lighter and thought maybe I could stay in the same price range/power for less weight.

• Members

A GX-5 is a lot lighter than an RMX2450 and the same power into a pair of 8 ohm subs - I used to use one with a pair of Peavey PV118's which are about the same as those Yamaha Club subs. We actually racked a couple XLS1000's up with it for monitors and it was an OK carry. Originally that rig had a pair of RMX2450's and a pair of RMX850's (AKA stoopid heavy ;) ).

Archived