Where does everyone put their subs in the trailer?

• Members

So I used to pack my two PRX618s in the very front of my 5x8 trailer and filled the rest of the space with everything else trying to keep weight as evenly distributed as possible. Well I went and bought four of the PRX718XLF and I am thinking about keeping them towards the rear of the trailer so I don't have to lug them to the front while hunched over, but that means I would have to put my top cabinets and monitors in the front which would be a pain if I don't need the subs for a gig. So I was wondering what the pros do (no fair if your answer is to keep the subs on one semi trailer and the line array in the other trailer). Weight is not an issue as the tops and monitors are roughly the same as the subs and the trailer will be evenly loaded wither way.

• Members

If you're using subs, it's nice to pull them off the trailer first and put them on last. That way, they're always being moved at the right time for the gig. (Subs usually hold up more of the PA speakers) There is that problem with gigs where they aren't being used. (Do you have many of those?) I use my subs for all my music gigs, but not for general PA jobs. (But my subs are small enough to fit into most trunks. I'm done hauling big stuff around.)

• Members

Last in/first out makes the most logical sense, of course. Unfortunately, real life rarely works that way. Some of the bigger items, like the risers, need to be first in otherwise there is no room for them at all---they need to be secured against the side walls--, but they also would be the most logical items to be first out since the rest of the gear sets up on top of them. And smaller, more incidental items, don't need to come out until the very end, but can't be put in the back of the trailer lest they get crushed or make the pack less stable.

So the way we usually do it is everything comes out of the trailer and gets set in its general area around the stage and nobody starts setting up until the entire trailer is unpacked. Same with the pack. Once everything is ready to go and packed up inside the venue, THEN we start loading the trailer by calling which items need to be loaded up first.

• Members

I have 2 different trailer packs. Lights, no lights & open mic have the same pack. My power amps etc sit on top of my subs. When I have my light rig in the trailer, my subs go in last, to even out the load. When I don't have the light rig in the trailer, the subs sit over the axle, so it's not rear heavy. The open mic setup doesn't use subs so the are able to stay loaded, with my Unity15's at the rear to be easily unloaded.

Archived