Inexpensive Wireless Trans/Reciever setup

• Members

Looking for a inexpensive transmitter/ receiver setup for a install. What are the options that are out there. Very light duty to be placed in a area that has very little chance of collateral damage (people with busy hands). Low wattage PA use in the back of a hall. Lower budget items.

• Members

While there are cheaper units, I think the Shure digital wireless mic is a viable answer. Street price is about $500, they're dependable and can be locked out of the local mute mode. (It drives me crazy when amateurs accidentally mute a mic during a show. I want all that power at the mixing board.) And did I mention that it's easy to use, unlikely to cause unwanted noise. I also get about 6+ hours on NiMH AA rechargeable batteries. (I hate throwing things away.) You can get more than 8 hours on good Alkaline's. It's also just about as cheap a system as I'm likely to go. Generally speaking, more expensive systems do sound marginally better and have more capabilities. (Like showing battery condition at the receiver.) They also require you read the manual well to be able to handle frequency changes. (That will happen.)

• Members

While you can go cheap, I suggest the experience won't be worth the money spent.

At the very lease, I'd suggest going with Audio Technica's ATW 2120 handheld. It MAPs at $ 349 but you should be able to pick one up for under $ 300

• Members

Those are great units that you guys posted, but I probably should have been more specific in describing my needs. They just want something to transmit music from a stereo receiver to a couple of powered speakers mounted on a wall. There's no need for a mic setup. No mixer setup, just a simple trans/rec setup for light music.

• Members

I'm running an Airport Express and using Airplay for music through my mixer, but it would work through powered speakers just as well. There is a time lag, so this isn't useful for the audio portion of a video. One note, the high end models don't do this. (And you need itunes on the transmitting device and the device to be on the airport express's WiFi network.)

• Members

Depending on quality & integrity expected (and the distance/line of sight), you can buy small < 100mw tuneable FM transmitters. Then just get another FM radio receiver to feed the speakers (there's always an empty channel somewhere). Now it could get walked on easily, suffer from dropouts and doesn't really have much more than 50' range or so but they can be had cheap. I got one for my car years ago so I could listen to mini disks thru my FM radio (which had no line inputs).

Pretty low tech but if the customer doesn't care......

Just a thought.

Archived