Alto Truesonic Sub 12?

• Members

Hi,

I'm considering picking up an Alto TS Sub12 to use with a TS110a (or maybe TS112a) for small acoustic jazz gigs. I will be putting vocals, piano and a small amount of double bass through the system. So far I've been using a single Alto TS112a on the floor in the wedge position and this has worked well. However having a speaker mounted on a pole would obviously improve sound projection further into the room. Due to the nature of the venues and gigs a tripod would be too clumsy so I'm considering using a small sub like the TS Sub12 as it would look neater and have a smaller footprint than a tripod stand. I have recently picked up an Alto TS110a and I've been extremely impressed with it so I'm considering using this over a TS Sub12 as it would provide a very small neat system.

I'm guessing an Alto TS110a + TS Sub 12 would have greater output and bass extension than a single Alto TS112a?

Has anyone on here had any experience with the Alto TS Sub12?

• Members

Haven't had experience with that exact combination, but I'm using EV's ZXA1s with matching ZXA1 subs and I suspect that is very similar. We run electronic drums through the PA and organ and piano and vocals. Two satellites and two subs and we're playing rock and pop. (Not loud but the system is loafing.) It sounds much better on the kick drum with the subs. The satellites go low enough but don't kick hard at those frequencies. (And those are 8" woofers.) The kick on my ZXA1 subs, which are 12" drivers, sounds so nice. Probably wouldn't be big enough for large clubs, but small to medium clubs should be good for our band. (Again, not loud.) We probably play about as loud as most basic Jazz groups. (Unmic'd horns. I don't use a mic when playing flugelhorn in this group.) I'm guessing that we have about 20 db available headroom at the rehearsal hall.

• Members

What you propose seems appropriate for the application. The only thing to consider is if you think you'll ever get into harder/louder material with another project and would want a system that could do more. The sub looks good and the dual mounting option is kind of cool (pole sockets on the short and long side).

• Members

Thanks for the replies so far guys. If the Alto TS Sub 12 is as good as the TS110a and 112a that I own I will be very happy. I don't need anything trouser flapping as I own a bigger pair of subs that I use with a bigger pa (EV ELX118p's with Yamaha DXR15's). I've had a look at the pictures of the Alto TS Sub 12 and it apparently only has one pole socket? The second set of rubber feet appear to be for setting the speaker down on the ground as there is only one handle opposite those feet? I found a few more pics of this sub here :- http://www.thomann.de/gb/alto_ts_sub_12.htm

• Members

I like the idea of a small lightweight sub. Yorkville makes one, but it's fairly useless as it only goes to 100hz. That's fine for a bigger sub that you're going to use with bigger and louder speakers, but generally a small sub will be used with 8" or 10" speakers. According to specs this Alto sub is crossed at 125hz which seems about right for an eight. or even 10 inch.

As I said, I demoed the Yorkie Yx10SP with it's counterpart the YX10P and they just didn't "line up".

I don't know what the build quality of Alto is now, but in the past they were quite hardy. I've got a mixer and a GEQ I've had for ten or fifteen years, that still work as new.

• Members

The TS112a's I own seem to be built well and haven't missed a beat since I owned them (18 months). Only had the TS110a for just over two weeks but has the same build quality as the TS112a only smaller. Think I may order a TS Sub12 in a week or so.

• Members

I have 4 of them and I have paired them with Yamaha DXR10. They might not have the rumble of a bigger subwoofer has, but it's pretty thumpy and add a nice thump paired to my DXR10. I have used 4 of them center clustered with a pair of DXR10 and I am very satisfied with the sound. Build quality is pretty okay for the price although the paint is pretty thin and easily peeled/scrapped which will show the wood underneath. I might coat it with plastidip so it will be more durable.

• Members

Thanks for the info, that sounds very promising! The DXR10's are much higher output @ 131db max SPL compared to 123db of the TS110a or 125db of the TS112a. My DXR15's definitely go a lot louder than the Alto's so the TS Sub12 looks like it will be a good option for my requirements!

Archived