JBL PRX715XLF VS VRX915s

• Members

I am thinking of adding a pair of 15’’ subs to my rig.

Looking at JBL’s specs, it shows the PRX715XLF max SPL is 131db and the VRX915s is 126db.

Any thoughts on why the higher end (more expensive) VRX would not be as loud as the PRX?

Any opinions on which would sound better?

Sheer volume is not my deciding factor in which to purchase. PRX weighs 56lbs with amp, VRX weighs 57lbs without amp.

Thanks!

• Members

The VRX is measured in "full space" meaning "no boundaries" so like it were flown. the PRX is measured in 1/2 space which is like being on the floor with no walls around. There is a 6 dB theoretical difference that's probably less in the real world so let's call it 5 dB. That means the cabinets are very similar in output. The difference is the VRX is a flyable, and a "better box" being constructed of birch versus poplar, which is lighter and not as dense. If you aren't going to fly the sub, then it may not be worth the extra cash for the VRX.

If you have the space for it, consider the larger PRX718XLF. It goes a few notes lower and gets a little louder than the 2 you are considering. I bought a pair a few months ago and have been very happy with the sound.

FWIW, 1/4 space is the floor and the wall and 1/8 space would be a corner so 2 walls and the floor.

• Members

Thanks, Abzurd. That makes since.

I like the PRX718XLF but it's a little too big for my truck with the rest of the gear I bring. I own four SRX718's and rent van when I need to bring out a larger rig.

Just trying to find a nice small sub for smaller shows that don't require 18's.

• Members

Yes, Don! I would be happy pay a premium for a sub that is small, light, sounds great and gets reasonably loud.

The small subs that are on the market right now simply don't have enough gas. I currently own a EV ZXA1SUB. I use it for my solo acoustic rig. It is ok for VERY small venues and quiet events. I have a friend that owns a pair of Mackie DLM12S for his 3-4 piece band. Both subs just don't cut it when you need to turn it up a bit.

I've also looked at the K-array stuff (one of my friends is a Sennheiser dealer). Trying to get a demo of the KR102 but I have a feeling that isn't going to do it either.

Trying to find something that is a 15'' or smaller and has some cahonas.

The goal for this rig it to keep it small, light and very portable.

Any other ideas of products I should be looking at?

• Members

I don't know of anything specific at this point. Manufacturers would need to be convinced that you would be willing to pay double for a box that could equal the output of say a PRX715 but at half the weight and half the size. It can be done, but it's expensive.

• Members
I don't know of anything specific at this point. Manufacturers would need to be convinced that you would be willing to pay double for a box that could equal the output of say a PRX715 but at half the weight and half the size. It can be done' date=' but it's expensive.[/quote']

Agreed. The biggest challenge is LF extension AND SPL (at the same time).

• Members

It wouldn't even need to be half the weight. Even shaving off 30% would be a huge improvement! I have the EV ZXA1 Sub and it is nice for what it is but I would be willing to pay a premium for something that is slightly larger and under 55 pounds. Something that would go down to 40hz and SPL close to 130. I think a 13.5 woofer might be the answer (Don). Think EV ZXA1 sub 2 inches larger and 8 or 9 pounds more and I'm sure there would be market for it even at a 20 or 30% premium. The trick is making something you can put in a car trunk and isn't going to kill you going up some steps. I can one hand the EV ZXA1 Sub and maybe a little more but not 70 plus pounds with a 15 inch.

There has to be a good market for a sub like that. No one likes humping subs without help. (maybe Andre the Giant)

• Members

My FBT Vertus sub is pretty slick like that

- 44 lbs

- 129 dB

- 2x8" front firing (tight and musical)

- puts out around 50 Hz, which is what pretty much all reasonably priced compact subs pretty much live. I A/B'd with RCF-705AS, Yorkville LS700P and a swept signal to confirm it could go as low.

- The Vertus is 1/2 the size and weight of those subs though

- You can pick it up over your head and walk through crowds with it.

The cons are:

- Crossover is 18dB slope with 130 or 180 crossover point. It's meant to match up with the Vertus tops so that's why. But, put an external crossover on it with a 24 dB slope and cross at 100 Hz and it's a pretty spanky little sub.

- It's so low to the ground and light that you have to watch what you put on top of it. For instance, my RCF 310A's are a nice match, but not my 522A's. Even at only 39 lbs They are too big and heavy and a tipping hazard.

• Members

Yes I agree. Problem is that for me to build it I need to sell 500 a month. I ask the question here and only 3 guys comment on it. See the dilemma?

What do you mean Don? That's 50% of the active users on the forum..... sorry I couldn't resist. Actually, the PRX 15" sub seems like a good compromise of cost, size/weight and performance.

• Members

haha funny one Don. Give me what spec you think you could reasonably build to and I will post it and see how many are interested. Plus give me a retail street price it would sell at. The EV sells for about $599 street but I got new cheaper than that. If you could bring a street price in at under 800 dollars I'm sure it would be a winner. There are not many subs that you can throw in the trunk of your car with the EVs being one of the few. Your product would have to clearly go deeper and be a little louder for people to shell out the bucks for a superior product.

How many groups would leap at the chance to have a decent sub punch without the weight penalty. I would say most! How much air can a 12 or 13.5 inch speaker push? What would make this cabinet $200 dollar more expensive to produce?

Also this forum has gotten a lot slower than it used to be.

• Members

The Vertus subs I have use 2, 8" speakers and has as much SPL and is more musical than my 15" RCF bandpass design. The Yorkville LS700P uses 2 10" speakers. Designs with side by side smaller woofers allow the cabinet to be small because they don't have to be much higher than a single driver is tall. I think the Vertus sub is something like 11". The problem about not being very tall is that you have a long pole on top of a light weight sub so you really have to use small, light tops.

If you were to go up instead of out, you'd now have a slim, tall design and that's no good either as far as being stable. Go to a 15" and you now have to have a larger box to accommodate the driver. It's really a pick your poison thing.

• Members

FBT EVOMaxx9sa 15", 48 lbs

FBT Mitus 212FA - 2x12", 80 lbs, 138 dB

FBT SUBLINE 15Sa, 15", 70 lbs, 135 dB

FBT SUBLINE 12Sa, 12" 61 lbs, 133 dB

FBT ProMaxX 15Sa, 15", 65 lbs, 136 dB - Dimensions: 23H x20W x 23.8D - THIS LOOKS LIKE THE WINNER. BIG ENOUGH TO BE STABLE BUT MUCH SMALLER THAN A LOT OF OTHER 15" SUBS

RCF Art 902-AS - single 12", 60 lbs, 130 dB

Archived