Behringer X32 remote app for Android?

• Members

We're planning on getting an X32 mixer in part to be able to ditch the monitor mixer we use now for our IEMs and have everyone control their own mix via tablet. I know these apps exist for iPad/iPhone, but last time I checked they were working on a similar Android app. I've seen a couple of things online refer to stuff in Beta stages, but does anyone know if any real/usable Android apps exist as of yet?

A couple of the guys in the band don't yet have tablets and/or have Androids. Rather not have anyone spending any more money than they absolutely have to.

• Members

I understand all the reasons for avoiding an iphone, but my 2.5 year old iphone 4S is still running well on the original battery and my Wife's Android phone is begging for it's third battery. (And the phone is only 2 months older than mine.) She borrow's my phone and I avoid her's like the plague. (Why does the Android OS have noise makers buried in menus? If an iphone is making noise, the shut off is always on the top screen in plain sight. I'm talking about alarms, timers and such.) I don't care what small advantage any Android phone might have, the iphone is easier to use and has everything you really need and basically isn't a dime more expensive. (Assuming you don't have to have the very latest version. The 4S is generally free with a 2 year contract from any carrier. Think the 5C is too.) And did I mention that the camera on the iphone is the best camera I own.

• Members

Behringer does not have an Android app; however, since Behringer was so kind as to publish the interface to their mixer, a 3rd party has developed an Android app for the X32 line of mixers called "Mixing Station". It runs on phones and tablets if Android is your thing. It is more flexible than the current Behringer X32 Mix app as well. Lots of guys use it.

• Members

Thanks for that! Nice to know we'll have that flexibility to not be tied to Apple stuff for those that don't want use that.

As far as personal preference---I love my iPad2 and iPhone 4S (gonna wait for the new 6's to come out to upgrade), so I'll be using the iPad.

Well, I love them except they don't work well with this forum software, but what else is new.....

• Members

I use Mixing Station on Android exclusively. Works great. Love the X32. It provides so many options I never knew I needed. We play events/weddings like your band. As an example, last night at a wedding gig, I had an individual come up with a recorder and XLR cable asking for a feed to record speeches. In a matter of moments I routed the Main L/R to a matrix and gave him is own separate level and output.

• Members
I use Mixing Station on Android exclusively. Works great. Love the X32. It provides so many options I never knew I needed. We play events/weddings like your band. As an example' date=' last night at a wedding gig, I had an individual come up with a recorder and XLR cable asking for a feed to record speeches. In a matter of moments I routed the Main L/R to a matrix and gave him is own separate level and output. [/quote']

We use the same two sound engineers for about 80% of our gigs who both use the same X32 board. They've been using it for about a year now (they used a Presonus before that.) Definitely seems like a really good, really versatile board. The plan is to just run our monitors through their board and let everyone run their own mix remotely. Then if we like that setup, the idea would then be to sell the MixWiz monitor mixer we have and our old, rarely used Yamaha FOH mixer and put that money towards our own X32 to use on the few gigs they don't mix for us.

Which brings up a couple of questions: A) would we be limiting ourselves in our choice of available sound engineers by telling them they have to use our X32? Or are most sound engineers familiar with that board or other similar digital mixers these days?

B) One option I'd consider is buying the X32 Rack version and running it remotely. Both to save space and a bit of cash. But would we REALLY be limiting ourselves by only being able to hire engineers who not only are familiar with the X32, but are familiar with running it from the iPad app?

• Members

I know for me, the rack is on my list, with the goal down the road to have it in a rack with wireless and iem. The answer is a split snake. Yes, it is a somewhat large investment, but it allows you to accommodate for multiple scenarios. With the rack, you can have all your iem/monitor settings saved and you can make adjustments from stage regardless of whether your using your PA or a house system. If you hire an engineer with an X32, perfect, run a network cable to their board. If you want them to run monitors too, just use the rack as a glorified snake. If you hire an engineer with a different board or play somewhere with a house system, use the split snake.

• Members

I know for me' date=' the rack is on my list, with the goal down the road to have it in a rack with wireless and iem. The answer is a split snake. Yes, it is a somewhat large investment, but it allows you to accommodate for multiple scenarios. With the rack, you can have all your iem/monitor settings saved and you can make adjustments from stage regardless of whether your using your PA or a house system. If you hire an engineer with an X32, perfect, run a network cable to their board. If you want them to run monitors too, just use the rack as a glorified snake. If you hire an engineer with a different board or play somewhere with a house system, use the split snake.[/quote']

Good suggestion. I'll definitely look into doing something like that. Thanks!

• Members

When the time comes, I'll be looking at one of the split snakes that has the multi-pin disconnect. That way I can use the snake as a stage box permanently attached to the rack. I can then add the multi-connect line when a split is required.

• Members

Odd that the S16 digital snake is so expensive when compared to the X32 products. Really? The only way to get more than 16 XLR inputs into anything other than the full-sized X32 is to spend $900? I'm going to spend $1200 for a X32 rack and then another $900 just to be able to use more than 16 channels? (I realistically only need probably 20 channels at the most.)

• Members
Odd that the S16 digital snake is so expensive when compared to the X32 products. Really?

Yes, really. You're paying for a power supply, chassis, 16ch of remote controllable preamps, 24ch of converters (16in, 8out), and the networking capabilities. $900 for a digital snake is a steal compared to even a few years ago.

The only way to get more than 16 XLR inputs into anything other than the full-sized X32 is to spend $900? I'm going to spend $1200 for a X32 rack and then another $900 just to be able to use more than 16 channels? (I realistically only need probably 20 channels at the most.)

Get an outboard mic preamp and run the outputs into the X32's 1/4" aux inputs.

But this is no different than any other board, ever. If you need more inputs, you have to go to a bigger model. Many times, that has involved buying more features (e.g. extra auxes & matrix outputs) than you might otherwise need.

-Dan.

• Members
We use the same two sound engineers for about 80% of our gigs who both use the same X32 board. They've been using it for about a year now (they used a Presonus before that.) Definitely seems like a really good' date=' really versatile board. The plan is to just run our monitors through their board and let everyone run their own mix remotely. Then if we like that setup, the idea would then be to sell the MixWiz monitor mixer we have and our old, rarely used Yamaha FOH mixer and put that money towards our own X32 to use on the few gigs they don't mix for us. Which brings up a couple of questions: A) would we be limiting ourselves in our choice of available sound engineers by telling them they have to use our X32? Or are most sound engineers familiar with that board or other similar digital mixers these days? B) One option I'd consider is buying the X32 Rack version and running it remotely. Both to save space and a bit of cash. But would we REALLY be limiting ourselves by only being able to hire engineers who not only are familiar with the X32, but are familiar with running it from the iPad app?[/quote'] Guido: Seems like you've already decided on the Rack but that would be what I recommend for your situation anyway. For the 20% of your gigs that one of your normal BEs does not handle I'm guessing the iPad interface would not significantly deter most engineers these days. Granted I'm quite comfortable mixing from iPad -- maybe 20 gigs on the SL version and now three on my X32 Compact -- but two weeks ago I stopped by to see a band I know at a new venue and they were self mixing from stage using a DL1608. At the first break I went up to talk and they showed me the Mackie iPad app and after literally a 60-second introduction I took it and mixed their next two sets (free on my part). Bottom line is they all work similarly enough that I don't think you'll have problems finding someone to work the app for your Rack. Yea, the S16 is spendy enough that if I were you I'd seriously consider just buying two Racks. Use one as a stage box when needed and also as a full backup if your primary one goes down. That's maybe $400 more than a S16 but you'd have a fully redundant system. Just my "too scents".

• Members
Guido: Seems like you've already decided on the Rack but that would be what I recommend for your situation anyway. For the 20% of your gigs that one of your normal BEs does not handle I'm guessing the iPad interface would not significantly deter most engineers these days. Granted I'm quite comfortable mixing from iPad -- maybe 20 gigs on the SL version and now three on my X32 Compact -- but two weeks ago I stopped by to see a band I know at a new venue and they were self mixing from stage using a DL1608. At the first break I went up to talk and they showed me the Mackie iPad app and after literally a 60-second introduction I took it and mixed their next two sets (free on my part). Bottom line is they all work similarly enough that I don't think you'll have problems finding someone to work the app for your Rack. Yea' date=' the S16 is spendy enough that if I were you I'd seriously consider just buying two Racks. Use one as a stage box when needed and also as a full backup if your primary one goes down. That's maybe $400 more than a S16 but you'd have a fully redundant system. Just my "too scents".[/quote']

That's what I wanted to hear about sound engineers familiarity with mixing from iPad---seems to be the way most are doing it these days anyway---and I was thinking the same thing about two Racks.

• Members
Odd that the S16 digital snake is so expensive when compared to the X32 products. Really? The only way to get more than 16 XLR inputs into anything other than the full-sized X32 is to spend $900? I'm going to spend $1200 for a X32 rack and then another $900 just to be able to use more than 16 channels? (I realistically only need probably 20 channels at the most.)

The 1/4" aux-ins appear to have the same gain stage as the XLR's .... except without the phantom power option. The channel processing for the 1/4" inputs lack the compressor and gate found on the XLR channels as well.

Aside from this, you can consider the X32 Rack a full 22 input mixer.

As pointed out, a digital snake option was previously something only found on MUCH more expensive mixers ..... and the stage boxes were priced as high or higher in some cases than 2 X32 racks would be.

I use an 8 space SKB roller rack for my system which holds my power strip, X32 Rack, Furman IEM transmitter, and 8 input DI. That is lots of bang in a very small stage footprint.

Using the iPad app (on my iPad Mini) as my remote mixing console on my mic stand has revolutionized our ability to sound consistently good from stage (although a full time sound guy out in the audience would of course be better).

Something like this: http://www.parts-express.com/talent-iclaw-mic-or-music-stand-holder-for-apple-ipad--233-048?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

fyi, I would recommend mounting the X32 Rack 1 space below the top of the rack or it becomes difficult to unhook XLR cables from the locking inputs on the back of the X32 Rack.

• Members
OneEng: Are you able to switch from your monitor mix to house mix quickly to listen how things are sounding?

Yes .... as well as can be done while being on stage anyway.

I use the Furman wired IEM system: http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=HR-6

I have the main mix on the far right knob which is the stereo outs from my mixer (although I assign them to a matrix mix so I can control how hot the signal is going into the IEM system).

The other 4 monitor mixes are mono and consist of each of our own vocals and instruments.

Having the button pressed in gives me my personal mix, while having the button out is just the stereo out from the board.

This only works if you have fairly insignificant stage noise .... which we do.

We have vDrums, Bass DI, my guitar Kemper DI, and the lead players Blackstar facing the rear of the stage with a plexiglass shield around the back to keep it from beaming out into the audience.

I generally keep the button out and ONLY listen to the main mix so I can identify quickly if something is out of ballance.

My biggest problem mixing is that the lead player adjusts his actual volume based on what he hears in his IEM mix. I have to counter that all night long. The only other change I ever make is going from one lead singer to a different one.

It works surprisingly well. The only thing that would be better would be an actual sound engineer at FOH all the time.

• Members

Most engineers worth their salt can figure it out quickly. I've never mixed on an X32 but a friend has one and I've played with it a bit (both the control surface & the app). It may be the easiest software driven interface out there (it's very intuitive).

My .02

Archived