Off Topic: Robin Williams and Suicide

• Members

When we hear of the suicide of such a talented and unique person, we often fall back on the "tormented artist" meme. While this may be true, the truth is that there are many such talented people who are not so tormented. I have to wonder if the incidences of depression, drug dependence and suicide is higher among "gifted artists" than it is among the general public. Certainly we hear about their suicides much more due to their celebrity, that's for sure.

Not to demean or belittle such afflictions or Robin Williams' massive talent in any way. I hope this doesn't read like that. I was a huge fan and am deeply saddened by the loss. But in fact, I worry that we might be demeaning the regular folks who suffer similar conditions because they don't have a similar high-profile, successful outlet for the "manic" side of their condition that a Robin Williams or Kurt Cobain or Ernest Hemingway might have had.

• Members

Quite true. I don't think you have to be suicidal to be gifted. I would expect the rate of incidence to be similar in the general public and artists realm. I do think that the most noted artists (not just musical) are people who have suffered whether it be mental, political, or physical. It seems to bring something out in people. Not a rule, just my own casual thought.

• Members

This was especially sad news to hear, it overshadows many aspects of his life that were not as public as his comedy, his acting and unfortunately, his death. He was a good guy, he supported causes outside of his career such as his support for the animals and programs at the San Francisco Zoo. I provided the audio and handled the FOH duties at a special one-off show that he produced himself last year. He is so often catagorized as one type of comedy but in fact spans such a wide range that he really escapes cstagorization. Artistic brilliance tends to do this. Unfortunately, the demons of manic depression and whatever else accompanies it tend to cause the artistic flame to burn brightly but also burn out more quickly. My heart goes out to his family, with the hopes that he is finally at peace with himself. Let the final curtain close with the gentle smile and laugh of his passing rather than the emotional pain he faced on a daily basis.

• Members

I guess he figured it was his time to go. He certainly will be missed. He was truly a genius, a fine individual and a humanitarian. His soul (through the influences he had on so many people) will live on forever. We even had a moment of silence at our rehearsal the other night (to honor such incredible talent).

• CMS Author
My heart goes out to his family, with the hopes that he is finally at peace with himself. Let the final curtain close with the gentle smile and laugh of his passing rather than the emotional pain he faced on a daily basis.

The Acadamy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences perhaps stated it best in their message: "Genie, you're free."

Archived