Goodbye, Farewell, Amen

• Members

Well gentlemen "that" day has finally arrived. It's time for me to hang up my headphones and move on to the next adventure. The wife and I took a good look at what we would like to do and doing sound just gets in the way. We have missed far too many holidays or events with family because instead of enjoying it, I'm too busy working them !!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on this forum and learned a lifetime of information. Sad thing is another lifetimes worth went over my head !

I was going to list gear for sale but by just contacting a few folks, I got buried in calls. If there's anything left worth having, I'll post later in the classifieds.

Best to all of you in this endeavor. May your ears never ring and may the load-in's be simple.

Salute to all

Tomm Williams

• Members

Happy trails Tomm ;)

I backed off of live sound (and playing in the band) years back. The kicker was a New Year's weekend gig doing back to back nights of 8:00pm to 4:00am.

Packed house, great gig, but it was just too much. I haven't done a New Year's gig since and instead have gone out with friends to have a good time with my wife.

All the best to you.

• Members
Well gentlemen "that" day has finally arrived. It's time for me to hang up my headphones and move on to the next adventure. The wife and I took a good look at what we would like to do and doing sound just gets in the way. We have missed far too many holidays or events with family because instead of enjoying it, I'm too busy working them !!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on this forum and learned a lifetime of information. Sad thing is another lifetimes worth went over my head !

I was going to list gear for sale but by just contacting a few folks, I got buried in calls. If there's anything left worth having, I'll post later in the classifieds.

Best to all of you in this endeavor. May your ears never ring and may the load-in's be simple.

Salute to allTomm Williams

Wow..........I didn't see that comming

• Members

Welcome to my world. You will both love and hate the decision. I broke up my system over a year ago and have not done a show since. It was a life style choice. I truly miss shows, but I also love the new found time with family. I still like to come here, but I don't get as "vocal" as I once did. Time to let the younger guys take over for us….

• Members

cold turkey , huh?

I understand the conflict with family time; Memorial day, 4th of July, Labor day, New Years eve, weekends, etc..

You'll miss it on some levels; the music, crafting a good mix, a great act, the cheering crowds, the pay, the exercise, the learning, being outside, people watching.

On the other hand, just think about what you won't miss:

"it's too loud"

"it's too quiet"

"here's you electrical circuit, there are 4 places to plug into"

"I can't hear my boyfriend's guitar"

"that's my tone"

"your load in spot is over there(you have to use binoculars to spot it)"

"can I get my windchimes in the monitor"?

Friggen cables

mic stands suck

busted up fingers

sunburn

crappy food "bandwhiches"

sore back

did I mention cables

two Modeling amps that sound like Angry hornets in a mason jar with a Lav mic

Who took my hand dolly?

Who took the gaffers tape?

"dude, you're not gonna mic the bottom snare"?

"by the way the auctioneer needs a wireless mic and we added a kids dance troupe before the band, here's their iPhone"

mic stands

cables

"we're mixing ourselves and will give you a feed"

rain

thanks for driving over my snake

• Members

On the other hand, just think about what you won't miss:

I'll offer to add:

1) 3:45am windshield time math

2) "Power? ... bands play here all the time."

3) "Do you know what all these knobs do?"

4) "Oh, that rider is years old."

5) "My business manager assured me the check is in the mail... ok?"

• Members

Thank you guys for all the kind and humerous (though real) comments. My last show is tomorrow night at a county fair in Quincy CA. A Battle of the Bands. I'm sure I'm going to hear many of those same comments and you know what ? .........................it won't annoy me anymore, they can't fire me :lol:

• Members
Thank you guys for all the kind and humerous (though real) comments. My last show is tomorrow night at a county fair in Quincy CA. A Battle of the Bands. I'm sure I'm going to hear many of those same comments and you know what ? .........................it won't annoy me anymore, they can't fire me :lol:
~~Tomm: I'll suggest *that* exit strategy likely isn't gonna work long-term, rather quite the opposite. Ok... your idea is that your last show is tomorrow, and you're going into it with a mind set that "other stuff of a lesser past is no longer of consequence"... that's like water off a duck's back at this point.

I'll suggest that the problem with that way of thinking only makes your phone ring more.... as in: That's a signal to the world to start backing dump truck loads of money and opportunity to your door till they get your attention again and you say "ok".

If you do what you do well, there becomes a point where you've got to come to grips with that fact.

• Members

We've already conversed about this but once again, you're friendship has been invaluable (as good camaraderie should be) so wherever you wander in life, remember you have a friend in Reno (or wherever I wander in life :-).

Take care my friend

JR

Archived