e935 vs SM86

• Members

Ladies and Gentlemen;

Good month for gigs, so I've some money to fix my weakest link. Solo act; guitar and male vocals. Songs by Steely Dan, Springsteen, Supertramp, etc. I don't sing as High as Donald Fagen, most those tunes are down a minor third. Current mic is the cheaper Carvin unit (Carvin M-50), an SM58 look-alike type mic. The replacement will be cardiod, not super or hyper cardiod--I'm looking at charts, audience, guitar neck, etc. and can't/won't be able to keep my head still enough for super or hyper mic's. Feedback is never a problem anyway, as stage volume is not that high. I had a Shure headset WH-30 (a condenser mic) that I liked a lot until it crapped out; I liked the definition and articulation a whole lot, but want to nix the headset thing because I've become more adept at working the mic and more confident with my material.

I've got it whittled down to the Senn e935 and the Shure SM86. Common advice is of course to use both and see which works best for me. That's not going to happen 'cause they aren't available where I live; That, and I never really know what I think about any piece of gear until I've owned and used it for a couple months. I figure either of these will be a major upgrade; no wrong choice between them. So I'm looking for a tipping point from the pro's. What's your thoughts on these two?

Peace

Paul K

• CMS Author

When it's this close of a decision, I expand the criteria to service...who has a better warranty, who offers better service, who's gear is available locally?....etc. etc. I know from experience that Shure's flat rate repair program is a good deal. Not sure what Sennheiser offers in this regard.

• Members

Have not used the SM86, but the e935 is my personal mic of choice when I am singing (baritone-bass male). It and the e945 are some of my favorite vocal mics. Where are you located, OP? One of us may be close enough to let you try one of these mics.

• Members
When it's this close of a decision' date=' I expand the criteria to service...who has a better warranty, who offers better service, who's gear is available locally?....etc. etc. I know from experience that Shure's flat rate repair program is a good deal. Not sure what Sennheiser offers in this regard.[/quote']

Sennheiser has a reasonably good service program these days, but turnaround time and prices are still usually both higher than with Shure. But if you live in Europe the turnaround time might be a lot better, I dunno. We're a Shure dealer and usually get everything back within two weeks.

Archived