Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

e935 vs SM86

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e935 vs SM86

Ladies and Gentlemen;
    Good month for gigs, so I've some money to fix my weakest link. Solo act; guitar and male vocals. Songs by Steely Dan, Springsteen, Supertramp, etc. I don't sing as High as Donald Fagen, most those tunes are down a minor third. Current mic is the cheaper Carvin unit (Carvin M-50), an SM58 look-alike type mic. The replacement will be cardiod, not super or hyper cardiod--I'm looking at charts, audience, guitar neck, etc. and can't/won't be able to keep my head still enough for super or hyper mic's. Feedback is never a problem anyway, as stage volume is not that high. I had a Shure headset WH-30 (a condenser mic) that I liked a lot until it crapped out; I liked the definition and articulation a whole lot, but want to nix the headset thing because I've become more adept at working the mic and more confident with my material.

I've got it whittled down to the Senn e935 and the Shure SM86. Common advice is of course to use both and see which works best for me. That's not going to happen 'cause they aren't available where I live; That, and I never really know what I think about any piece of gear until I've owned and used it for a couple months. I figure either of these will be a major upgrade; no wrong choice between them. So I'm looking for a tipping point from the pro's. What's your thoughts on these two?
    Peace
    Paul K
    https://soundcloud.com/paul-kempkes

Not a Sennheiser fan. I owned quite a few SM86. Wonderful mic...YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Axisplayer View Post
      Not a Sennheiser fan. I owned quite a few SM86. Wonderful mic...YMMV.
      I'm slowly adding more and more 86's to my kit. Really like that mic. But like all mics, they don't work for all voices.

Comment

As I said...YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Comment

When it's this close of a decision, I expand the criteria to service...who has a better warranty, who offers better service, who's gear is available locally?....etc. etc. I know from experience that Shure's flat rate repair program is a good deal. Not sure what Sennheiser offers in this regard.
          Write something...

Comment

Have not used the SM86, but the e935 is my personal mic of choice when I am singing (baritone-bass male). It and the e945 are some of my favorite vocal mics. Where are you located, OP? One of us may be close enough to let you try one of these mics.
            Chief fader ape, wire monkey, mic macaque, and speaker chimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Vecchione View Post
              When it's this close of a decision, I expand the criteria to service...who has a better warranty, who offers better service, who's gear is available locally?....etc. etc. I know from experience that Shure's flat rate repair program is a good deal. Not sure what Sennheiser offers in this regard.
              Sennheiser has a reasonably good service program these days, but turnaround time and prices are still usually both higher than with Shure. But if you live in Europe the turnaround time might be a lot better, I dunno. We're a Shure dealer and usually get everything back within two weeks.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;I would kill the children of a thousand planets, just to see you smile&quot;</div>

Comment

I went with the SM86. Will check in after I've used it for awhile. Thanks, all.

Comment

Originally posted by Axisplayer View Post
                  As I said...YMMV (your mileage may vary)
                  Sorry Axis, this was not pointed at you, I should have addressed it to the OP. Forgive my lack of forum decorum.

Comment

No offense taken. I knew you were talking to the OP, just pointing out I already agreed with that sentiment. ;-)

Comment

SM86 arrived yesterday. I like it so far. It was real easy to record with, easier than my MXL V63M. I just set levels, and go. Looking forward to the next live solo gig, but that'll be next month. One take after setting levels: https://soundcloud.com/paul-kempkes/rosalita-8-18-14

Comment

Nice. Glad you like it. Don't tell folks…the price will go up. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                        X