Best (inexpensive) solution for getting wireless monitoring with an Aviom

• Members

I haven't been able to find a good solution for sending a wireless signal from an Aviom 1/4" out to a set of earbuds/phones.

I understand we can purchase a system similar to a Shure PSM 200, but I would need to buy EIGHT of them at $600 a pop. This is for a church, so that is out of our budget. Also, the extra equipment would be cumbersome for setup and breakdown.

I tried using bluetooth xmitter and reciever, which cost about $60, but came to find out there is a 1/2 second delay b/c the signal must be processed into digital and then back to analog. These would have been perfect since both the xmitter and receiver are very small and light.

I'm amazed that there isn't an analog radio solution that would work for this. It seems simple to me and I feel there must be something affordable out there.

Any ideas?

• Members

There is an analog radio solution available for this, and you already looked at. An IEM system is the way to go. If the PSM200's are too expensive for you, look at cheaper options. The MiPro gets decent reviews, as do Audio Technica. Or buy some used Sennheiser G2's or something. Just make sure everything you buy will work with each other and your wireless mics. To have all matching IEM transmitters and receivers (both model and frequency range) would be good. I would recommend getting something rack mountable with detachable antennas, so you can put them on a combiner eventually. The stand-alone units like the PSM200 are very basic and consumer-grade. You can get much more professional systems for the same money or less.

If you get Sennheiser (and maybe others, I don't know), you can use one transmitter to get separate mono mixes to 2 receivers, so you could maybe save some money there.

Do you really need 8 wireless ears? I work with some fairly large churches that have the money to buy anything they want, and they don't use that much wireless. In general, whenever you can use a wire you should use a wire.

Also, shop around. You don't necessarily need to pay the listed price for everything you buy.

• Members

If $600 is too much for your budget I would suggest you stick with wired. In my opinion the only thing worth having cost $1k each and it's barely passable sound quality wise. It also will likely only have a short useful life span considering changes in the UHF TV. Band allocations in the near future. There are likely some new digital solutions coming soon that operate outside the TV Band.

• Members
If $600 is too much for your budget I would suggest you stick with wired. In my opinion the only thing worth having cost $1k each and it's barely passable sound quality wise. It also will likely only have a short useful life span considering changes in the UHF TV. Band allocations in the near future. There are likely some new digital solutions coming soon that operate outside the TV Band.

My tastes may not be quite as high but I have to agree (I might work with an $800 unit :-). Don't cheap out with wireless gear. You will never be happy with the results.

My .02

Archived