Signatures

• Members

Do you guys get alerted to new posts on threads you'e participated in or subscribed to? I don't and it's killing me. I only get alerted if I started the thread. I suppose I could start 10 threads a week titled "put content here", but that might be frowned upon.

• CMS Author
Your signature is not broken' date=' Harmony-Central is broken. I'm still waiting for them to fix it, it's been months.[/quote']

I don't think the signatures thing can be "fixed", you just have to go in and remove the tags.

Harmony Central was sold yet another bill of goods with this vB "upgrade".

• Members

Oh, they can be fixed.

var i,sigs;sigs=document.getElementsByClassName("post-signature restore");for (i=0; i < sigs.length; i++) { sigs[i].innerHTML = sigs[i].textContent}

Test it yourself by cutting and pasting into your brower's Javascript console.

That took me three minutes to sort out. I could make it secure and robust in about two hours.

It is important not to give up and change your sig, because HC's brokenness breaks the historic record...there is no way we could get all the users who have ever posted to each pop by and fix their signatures.

They could also fix them by scripting the database. Or tweaking the code that emits the signatures into the document. It's all first-year-intern stuff.

Wes

• Members

I don't think the signatures thing can be "fixed", you just have to go in and remove the tags.

Harmony Central was sold yet another bill of goods with this vB "upgrade".

So when do people at HC get held accountable? One "sold snake oil" story after another. It seems like it's been a decade of blunders and all have been blamed on poor execution by a 3rd party.

At this point it seems like the best option is to let the sun set on keeping history. Just mothball it as "read only" and start over with a clean install. It would suck to lose my post count after 13 years, but that's just me being vein and I'd take a functioning forum over anything else. This is, bar none, the worst functioning forum I've ever used. It's sad to say, but it might be the worst PERIOD on the internet. That's saying a lot, but I don't think it's an exaggeration.

• CMS Author

So when do people at HC get held accountable? One "sold snake oil" story after another. It seems like it's been a decade of blunders and all have been blamed on poor execution by a 3rd party.

At this point it seems like the best option is to let the sun set on keeping history. Just mothball it as "read only" and start over with a clean install. It would suck to lose my post count after 13 years, but that's just me being vein and I'd take a functioning forum over anything else. This is, bar none, the worst functioning forum I've ever used. It's sad to say, but it might be the worst PERIOD on the internet. That's saying a lot, but I don't think it's an exaggeration.

I'm not sure what to do with this. How exactly should HC be held accountable? Your next statements seem to accuse me of lying or covering up something. If you know more about what's gone on with all the upgrades, please speak up. I've tried to pass along the issues as well as the mood in the forums to site administration, and return useful information about plans/progress/setbacks to the forums. If the majority would rather I not do this, please speak up. I don't want to waste your time or mine.

FWIW, this was a clean install. vB's latest release is that bad.

• Members

Craig. I do not blame you in the slightest for HC's development issues. I take you at your word and appreciate the info. I am however left to assume that either talent or resources (or both) are rather limited with respect to forum maintenance and enhancements.

• Members

I'm not sure what to do with this. How exactly should HC be held accountable? Your next statements seem to accuse me of lying or covering up something. If you know more about what's gone on with all the upgrades, please speak up. I've tried to pass along the issues as well as the mood in the forums to site administration, and return useful information about plans/progress/setbacks to the forums. If the majority would rather I not do this, please speak up. I don't want to waste your time or mine.

FWIW, this was a clean install. vB's latest release is that bad.

I'm not blaming you Craig. You didn't do this. You're the messenger. I get it. It's just the message, although it may be true, is ridiculous. I apologize on how it came across. it's just a damn shame it's so bad as to be barely usable and has been so now for years, YEARS! And the current version far less usable than it's ever been. I can't edit posts live. I'm not alerted to new responses. These are really the 2 basic covenants of a forum.

IMO, it's time to admit defeat, and install a stable, usable forum. Everyone else in the world seems to be able to figure it out. Why can't the folks running this thing? I'm PO'd about it because I've put a lot of time and effort in this myself over the past 12+ years and I'm passionate about this place. I guess at this point I need to STFU and accept the ridiculousness or move on.

• CMS Author

The message may seem ridiculous, but it's what I'm told, and even after sorting out the hopeful cheery BS from the reality, it still does ring true. Though I've recently moved on to other endeavors to put food on the table, I was in IT for 22 years. In that time I've seen the industry expand in breadth, but shrink terribly in depth. I've worked for companies that really knew how to put out quality, and those that couldn't write "hello world" and make it run on two different platforms.

So it's no surprise to see that a company like MF would get duped multiple times by poor vendors. They're a bunch of musicians...they aren't supposed to know IT. But they are business people....and IMHO their biggest mistake is what I see as a failure to hold back a substantial monetary sum until well after deployment. They're still paying Lithium for another half a year of "services"...that version of the website actually still exists.

The other issue is the sheer enormity of HC...from day 1 there have been issues with the forum volume. Then add all the content-side volume. Remember how often the site would crash? So far I think there was one site outage since this update, and that was caused by the load balancer that controls the three server sets. I know there will be IT guys here that'll poo-poo this, but HC has a pretty unique set of challenges...apparently more than many vendors were willing to take on, and obviously more than several have been able to manage, including vaunted vBulletin.

Further, there's the consideration of the fact that HC isn't just made to run on a few web browsers. The mobile version is, and will be a big challenge to deploy with the expected features.

I think we were all a bit cranky yesterday (may sound lame, but the death of Robin Williams really affected me), and I agree COMPLETELY that it's been way too long to get this thing running. We've got multiple long threads running in the office about beau coup problems. There have been a lot of bugs that you may or may not have seen that were the type of stuff that had to be fixed before the good stuff you want can be deployed. The Nucleus guys are writing code for "lost" vB functionality. Yes, most of the "basic features we all expect but can't find were dropped in this latest release...without any mention by vB prior to the deployment. And apparently vB wants to buy that code from Nucleus.

Amazing.

• Members

Sad but true, Craig. The software world is going to hell in a handbasket. I have been coding professionally for 18 years (and as a hobby for 10 years before that), and whoo, boy, most of the young guys truly do not understand ANYTHING any more. I don't know how it's possible to get through school without using a packet sniffer, kernel call tracer, or debugger....but apparently it is.

Wes

Archived