Decent comps gates fx for a simple analog rig

• Members

Hi folks,

Just curious what you all recommend for decent quality comps, gates and fx units to add to my analog rig. Not looking for top of the line or to break the bank. I am shopping used on ebay, craigslist, etc just looking for model numbers to look for.

I currently have:

Mackie Onyx 24.4

TC Electronics M-One XL

TC Electronics M350

Art Pro Audio EQ355

Behringer DCX2496 System Processor

Samson S4 quad channel comp/gate

Behringer Composer Pro MDX2200 dual channel comp/gate/limiter

I'd like to either add a few more comp/gate channels and maybe another FX unit. What would you suggest?

Thanks

Jared

• CMS Author

The dbx 166XL is a good comp at a decent price. For less bux the 266 works too.

Lexicon MX200 is a decent effects unit. Avoid the older Lexicon models that didn't have any indication of which effects were selected other than trying to peer at the tiny knob settings in the dark. Older Yamaha effects units like the SPX900 are excellent and often underpriced, if you can find them.

• Members

The dbx266 and 166 are great entry level comp/gates, I've got a bunch. The RNC is cool but is stereo with shared control knobs, basically setup for a stereo source. I really dig the m300 and m350 for ease of use and sounds, can't beat it. Yamaha spx90, 990 are great too. Lots of great deals out there. I'm selling a whole FOH rack with cabling and everything locally. Not a lot of bites...

Archived