Wireless headphones?

• Members

OK, one limitation/deficiency of mixing from iPad is not being able to solo a channel into headphones. The X32 iPad app has solo buttons which at least implies a solution like a wireless transmitter connected to the monitor/headphone out and then carry wireless headphones. Now I was expecting that a high-enough quality digital system might be pretty spendy but in looking around briefly I don't even see many options. I'm guess someone here has experience with this or at least can guide this newbie who does zero wireless presently?

• Members
Just use a wireless IEM setup with headphones instead of earbuds :) .
Guess I'll have to learn up on the topic. This may be a dumb question but should I expect that most wireless headphones can sync up with most IEM transmitters?

• Members
Just use a wireless IEM setup with headphones instead of earbuds :) .

I'd have to agree with this for a couple of reasons. Firstly most consumer wireless headphones don't have the range that a pro IEM setup would have. Secondly they might not be loud/isolated enough in a louder R&R environment. Frequency choice is another drawback. I have a set of Beyer wireless phones that are good enough for low volume studio work (as a quick extra Q mix) but they wouldn't be my choice for SR work. Funny thing is they are on the same freq as my roommate's Sony's. Proof that you want channel selection :-).

IMO If it's mission critical, pro wireless gear (with multiple channels just in case) and your choice of good isolated phones is the only way to go.

my .02 worth

• Members

Thanks everyone for the help. Yea it seems that to do it right would require going with a standard (digital) IEM system then plug my existing phones into a beltpack. I was sort of hoping that something like the Sennheiser "stand-alone" models might work but the online docs all contain the following:

Note while the sound quaity of these headphones is fantastic for any type of music, they were not designed for use while recording/tracking and monitoring or musical instrument practice (performer wears the headphones while playing).

...I assume because of latency issues? Too bad as those self-contained units would not require a beltpack and cord dangling from my neck all evening. I'll have to think on this a bit more and decide whether the required investment would be worth it for my needs. Hmmm... Now if my son decides to go the IEM route for performing... Hmmm...

Thanks again everyone.

• Members

Interesting note here is that the high end IEM systems available today are NOT digital (they have digital tuning but the transmission of audio is still analog). The reason being exactly what you described - Latency. I hears rumors that Line 6 was coming out with a Digital IEM setup but couldn't seem to find any for sale anywhere (I guess not yet).

Really the same is true for wireless microphones (most are still analog compander type). Reduced latency technology is available (Line 6 does it) but for some reason the industry seems slow to jump on the bandwagon.

• Members

FWIW I opened an "I need help choosing a product" (their category) support ticket with Sennheiser on Monday asking specific questions on their various models of wireless headphones in regards to my needs but have yet to get a response. Funny that.

Archived