Optimum FX in wedges

• Members

I've found that often (of course not always) all people are looking for is something to take that close, direct, dry sound away. Unless instructed otherwise, start with a short (1.4 sec decay time) and see if it makes them happy. Shorter is in effect (pun intended) less reverb and will usually cause you less feedback issues.

• Members
Assuming a client insists on FX in the wedges, can the possibility of feedback issues be lessened by the parameters set in the FX? For example, by increasing or decreasing the parameters of a reverb program, would it make a difference ?

Only as that parameter change affects the gain

• Members

I have never found reverb in the wedges to be the big feedback problem that many talk about. I have found that, fortunately, it's usually the quieter type bands that ask for it, especially Jazz singers. Most of the louder, rock style bands don't care about reverb unless they are using in ears.

• Members

We had a related thread back in March :

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/LivePerformanceCategory/acapella-33/31166273-reverb-in-monitors-strategy

That was not so much about preventing feedback but some of the ideas could possibly help. When you add efx, as Don points out, you are adding overall gain. So if a little delay mixed back in will satisfy the singer psychologically and it is less overall gain addition than would be required to get the same satisfaction from a typical reverb, then it works to your advantage with respect to feedback.

Another thought is if your monitor feedback (if any) is usually in the higher frequencies, you might be able to roll off the efx return below that frequency.

Archived