Speaker has a sizzling sound.

• Members

Could it be From the lighting? it kinda sounds like when you have a weak station on the radio. I disconnected the DriveRack and it still does it even when I play a mp3 . Any Idea what it is?There JBL Eon 315 and a RQ 2318 Mixer.

• Members

Both speakers? Have you eliminated the board? Does it "sizzle" with nothing plugged in? If it is only one speaker "sizzling" (out of a pair) have you switched the lines to see if the other does it? If it only does it with the mixer, does it do it with the master off? Do you have an errant gain on "full" somewhere on the mixer or speaker? and so on...

• Members

Sorry I didn't give more info I had to leave in a hurry. It's only when there is music tape or singing going through it, it effects both speakers the best way to describe it is it sounds like a radio set on a weak station maybe a high freq. distortion if you will, the monitors sounds fine.Wednesday Im going to start a process of elimination plus hook up a different speaker and see if that could be the problem. By the way it follows the vol. up or down. Could it be the Diaphragm .

• Members

The speakers may have a built in gate that keeps the sound from coming through until the threshold is met. That would be why you're not hearing it until you have some other kind of signal. The fact it happens no matter the signal choice you put through the system (tape, singer, etc) would seemingly point to the mixer or speaker cables, but it could be the speakers still if there are electrical grounding issues with the wiring. Something is picking up RF interference. FWIW, my bass players rig will get RF from time to time in some venues. Sometimes flipping the ground switch fixes it.

Do you always have this issue no matter where you hook up the PA? If you haven't, I'd try moving the PA to some other room in your house or wherever you're doing this. You could also try changing the speaker cables. Are you using XLR cables from the mixer to the speakers?

The last thing is if you have rheostats (lighting dimmers) they can play havoc with audio, but it's usually buzzing you'll get and not radio frequency stuff.

• Members

I guess I should mention this is in a Church. I Just started running sound a few weeks ago. Abzurd I think your right on with your analysis. The Building has a ton of florescent lighting and a major Grounding Issue, when I first went in there the noise coming out of the monitors was unbearable I used noise suppressor from Ebtech I think its called, anyway it works great nice an clear. First thing I'll do is switch the speakers, then the cables. Question if i used a DI with a GND Lift in-between the out put of the main out and the powered speakers would that work in In Isolating anything. Thanks everyone for the tips I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again.

Archived