Power Cables for Powered Speakers, etc. . .

• Members

Powered speakers seem to come with a 6 or 8ft power cable, which is fairly useless for connecting across a stage or performance area. I just keep my power cables connected to 15ft black extension cords at all times.

I was thinking it may be better/safer to simply upgrade to a dedicated 25 ft cable.

Anything I specifically need to look for? I'm assuming 15A capacity and at least 14 guage would be preferable (though I doubt the ones that came with the speakers were that heavy).

I found these, which are fairly reasonably priced

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

As is typical, the comparable Monster cables are ridiculously overpriced. Hosa and Livewire are a bit more reasonable, but I figure there are probably better options out there.

Any comments? Is the MonoPrice stuff junk? Other suppliers or preferred brands?

• Members

It sort of depends on how you like to run cables on your stage. Unless it is a really small stage /affair I use a "Stage Ninja" multi-outlet extension cord across the front of the stage. Then plug the monitors into the outlets on that. In this case 4-6' long cables are a good length. I do have some 25' ones too but use those mainly on the mains that get put up on sticks.

In a festival situation sometimes I will use the 25' ones on backline or corner monitors that are more likely to be re-positioned. But in general the 25' cables create more "mess" on stage as they end up being too long. Ultimately it is handy to carry a variety of sizes and have a few extra with you.

I agree with aged that 16ga or even 18ga wire is fine and it is quite a bit lighter and easier to work with. I spent a few years "upgrading" all those cheap OEM cords to 14ga and now find I am glad I kept the light weight ones that came with the speaker. The 14ga SJT cords are stiff and more of a pain to work with. They might hold up a little better to abuse like being stepped on as the jacket seems a little thicker than 18ga. But those IEC cords are so cheap that if one starts looking sketchy I just toss it.

The "stage ninja" power cord is no longer being made but a reasonably priced and probably higher quality product from LEX is available:

http://www.lexproducts.com/products/entertainment/powerflex-cable-assemblies/multiple-receptacle-extensions/20-amp-e-string-orchestra

You could also go more "pro" and buy or make your own stage stringers and get the same sort of result. That is, a short distance to a power outlet from just about anywhere on stage.

• Members

I stock Hosa iec cables in 8', 15', 25' and 50' lengths. They are 14/3, handle and roll up nicely and lay flat without kinks. The molding of the iec is slightly chubby, and once it is wiggled into the socket will not fall out. The quality of these exceeds any other premade iec cords I have seen.

• Members

I thought HOSA's were regarded as a not-so-good-brand-of-cable? At least I have read more negative's than positives, but it's the internet who you gonna believe right? I too am in the same boat, looking for some longer IEC solutions, preferably one with a plug in for another cable on the end of the IEC...(for subs and.or additional speakers). Thanks for the info Mr. Pyle.

• Members

I am looking for longer IEC power cables for my Yammy DSRs. the yammy sockets have a locking clip on them. I think the clip is essential, otherwise a little pressure on the cord could dislodge it from the cabinent. Do these aftermarket cables come with a locking clip? From the pictures it is hard to tell.

• Members
I am looking for longer IEC power cables for my Yammy DSRs. the yammy sockets have a locking clip on them. I think the clip is essential, otherwise a little pressure on the cord could dislodge it from the cabinent. Do these aftermarket cables come with a locking clip? From the pictures it is hard to tell.

Those must be specific to the DSR series.

My DXR speakers did not come with any kind of locking clip on the power cables

• Members

I have a few Monoprice 25' 14ga IEC cables, and they work great. Overall I've been happy with almost everything I've bought from Monoprice, I doubt you'll be disappointed in their power cables.

As for locking IEC's, like the ones with the blue ends, I doubt you'll find a source for longer than normal ones. I've never seen them.

I still use long IEC cables sometimes, even though I have a total of around 750' of hybrid cable with one power and 2 XLR lines in it. Those are the best thing ever for powered speakers. I have mine set up with an edison on each end, then I use a short (2-3') IEC or Powercon cable on the speaker end. That makes it really easy to link them together for more length.

• Members

The ;locking IECs look like they are made by Volex Corp. and Mr B. Adams you seem to be correct - after an hour of searching google and I could not find one beyond the standard 6 footer. So I guess I am SOL. extension cords will have to do it.

Archived